23

Jennifer's POV

Exhausted and desperate, I sneak into Leah's office to get my phone. Yes, it's like I'm way back in high school where teacher would confiscate your things for bringing stupid make up. She knew I'd somehow tried to reach out to my mother. I just can't leave things that way in spite of everything she trashes out to me.

"Going through my things. That's how you wanna do this?" I heard a voice causing me to freeze and drop the things I had in my hand from one of the desk drawers. "Just give it to me." I sighed and stood up. "Why do you wanna call her do bad? She called you a fucking disgrace, Jennifer. In case you don't understand." She chuckled and narrowed her eyes. "You know how much my family means to me regardless of anything." I said and crossed my arms.

"I'm not letting you step into that house, if that's what you're asking." She said lowly and went to sit on her office chair. "Why? Are you telling me I need your permission first before I could get out of this house?" I let out a sarcastic laugh. Her lips pursed into a straight line and rub her fingertips on her temple. "Yes. Jennifer. You talk like you don't know me." She huffed. "This is not how things are gonna go. In case you don't understand it takes two person to make a marriage work." I said sarcastically.

"Jennifer. I'm doing this for your own good. Why can't you just trust me?" She breathed out. "My own good? How exactly, Leah?" I chuckled. "Stop. Jennifer." She hissed through her teeth. "Tell me. You said you'd take care of it and we both know that's impossible. I need to talk to her. She's my mother. She has Emma. Do you realize what you're trying to take away from me?" I reasoned out.

"Enough." She grits and slammed her fist on the table making me jump.

I bi my lower lip, looking down on the ground. "Just go to bed. I need time to think."

"But-"

"Just go." She said exhausted.

"No. I won't. Not until you explain it to me why you're stopping me from calling them." I said firmly as my voice cracks.

She sighed hard and put her hands on her face.

Why it's so hard for her to understand? Sometimes having someone to protect you feels like you're on the top of the world but it's not always like that. I'm so tired of constant yelling. Well, it's probably partly my fault. But she's being unreasonable. I don't remember the last time she let me do something without being controlling. Every move I make, every person I had to meet it has to be approved by her.

"Do you know why I don't want you to go there?" She asked lowly. I didn't say anything at first. "Do you?" She repeated. I sighed, "That's why I'm asking." I responded, being a smart ass. "Because I know how it feels." She said, "I know how it feels to get disowned by your own family. My father did that to me once, he find out that I'm into girls...but he didn't want to believe it nor I admitted everything to him." She continued while I listened. "It was painful. And seeing the look on your face that night--"

"It's killing me" She looked up to me. "As much as possible, I'm distancing you away from anyone who thinks we're bad people for being different- because we're not" I could feel my eyes getting watery. "She doesn't mean it. She's just shocked." I defended. "Yes. But for how long?" She raised her voice which startled me.

"Jennifer, you did your part. Now it's time for her to do the same. It's your choice. She's gonna have to find a way to live with that.You've got to drop this and let things happen the way they should." She muttered softly. I let the words register inside my head, sinking it in. It's a matter of time before I realize she has a point. No matter how much I tried reaching out if the person didn't want me there, it's useless. She has the right to be mad. But that's the problem, my anger melts away fast. I could forgive a person even if she doesn't deserve it.