Chapter Twenty- Fighting in the forest

Chapter twenty

“Today we'll be doing basic tree works, you'll be paired off into groups of five and stationed about a forest five miles from here. Alya, Lina and myself will be watched you but we will be staying hidden so you cannot see if we are there or not.” Erwin said, his eyes cold and emotionless. I nodded slowly. “Fetch your gear everyone, saddle your horses. You have five minutes.” Everyone saluted again then went inside to fetch there weapons. I got mine, strapping it onto my hips and settling the engine behind me. I went out and saddled up my horse Lullaby nickered in greeting swaying her head back and forth. I smiled, running my hand along her ebony neck.

I mounted the steed riding to the path to wait for the others. I shifted slightly in the stirrups as Lina rode over. Her eyes locked on the dusty path ahead. She said nothing to me, I noticed her hair was shoulder length and curly her eyes a piercing shade of blue. I rolled my shoulders back, I didn't want to make conversation with her. Levi was the next to ride up, his fists tightly gripping the reins on the horse. He looked very uneasy and his eyes flashed several shades of gray…? I peered a boy without looking to suspicious. I'd always seen his eyes as blue but then again I'd never really gotten a good look at them. The light here panted his pale face in gold as the sunlight flashed across us all. His eyes were defiantly gray.

His eyes flashed over towards mine and the two pools of gray met mine I reverted my eyes towards the road quickly as Erwin rode up followed by Hanji, Petra, Gunther and Eld. Another trainee that I didn't know the name of followed closely behind. Oulo was the last one out, he rode his horse next to Levi and looked at him with a strange expression. The black haired boy didn't seem to notice, or for that matter care. We rode off following Erwins white steed. It took about ten minutes before we reached the valley. I blinked, this was the place I found earlier today. The valley was even more stunningly beautiful in the midday sunshine. Lina, Erwin and I stopped the horses on the overhang and watched the Trainees vanish into the tree. They knew what they had to do, we laid out several titan sized card bored cut-outs among the trees. On the back of those cutouts where two by four feet of flesh like plastic for them to get used to cutting though Titans necks.

When a person originally joined the military they went through this training excuse. We used it to improve on their skills, it was better to have a bunch of strong member’s then ‘average’ skilled warriors. We had added our own twist to it by putting ourselves into it as well. Monitoring them so we could tell them what they needed to improve upon. I dismounted my horse and tied her to a little stump of a tree I'd noticed earlier. I readied my gear and the line attached to the nearest branch I flew into the air across the tiny gap skidding though the branches with ease. Back and forth through the trees like I was a monkey using vines to get across the jungle floor. We quickly came to the first set up, Hanji and Petra could be easily distinguished though the thick pine leafs. I stopped, without making a sound I hunkered down in the forestation and hid myself from their sight.

Petra was zipping about using a lot of gas, while Hanji was more careful with the usage of her weapon. “I cant believe the boys ditched us like that.” Hanji said. I frowned, I'd only heard her voice once or twice she was normally very quiet. Petra giggled quietly “Well, I guess they wanted to see who could get farthest into the forest!” She said over the quiet hissing of the engine. Petra went at the cut-out of a five meter titan, swiping her sword deep into the fleshy bread. Hanji used a tree to her advantage instead of just relying on her gear. I smiled quietly, Hanji must have been one of the top graduates in her class. She was smart with her weapons. Petra was to, but less so. I furrowed my brow creeping closer to the edge of the branch kneeling down and putting my swords on my knees to rest easier using my left hand to balance myself holding it outward past the tree. I wondered why Hanji would join the Survey Corp when she had the option to join the Military Corp. Most would choose the plush and easy life over the battling life.