Chapter 1 - Edited ✓

Harper's P.O.V

Every morning, the contraption that I believe was sent from the pits of hell itself wakes me up at 7:30 A.M for school and every morning I contemplate whether or not throwing my phone at my bedroom door to shut it up would satisfy; me and my never-ending quest for just five more minutes of sleep.

I stay in bed for a few more moments and listen to the sounds around me. It's become a ritual of mine for the past three years. I've started to appreciate the little things a lot more ever since my Grandad passed away a few years ago. I've learnt that even the simplest of sounds like the songs from a bird needs to be appreciated because one day that bird might not be here to sing.

Getting out of bed and throwing on my fluffy robe, I make my way downstairs. Following the scent of warm toast, I find my Nan in the kitchen making breakfast.

Despite my protests of not wanting food in the morning, along with the fact that I'm 18 years old and legally classed as an adult, she still insists on making me breakfast just to ensure I don't go hungry.

"Good morning, love." She calls to me as I enter the kitchen. I smile at her affectionate greeting and make my way over to her to kiss her on the cheek.

"Morning, Nan. What have I told you about making my breakfast?" I scold teasingly as I reach into the fridge for the orange juice.

"I know you're perfectly capable of feeding yourself dear; you remind me that you're an adult on a daily basis. However, I insist on making you breakfast before school." She counters with a stern look on her face.

After the toast had been devoured, I spend a few minutes with her before I have to leave her to start getting ready for school. Not that my look requires any effort what so ever. I notice that she looks more tired than usual, her smiles don't quite reach her eyes anymore. We both know why she's so exhausted, but we don't ever speak about it.

Three years ago, when my Grandad passed away, his death not only left a gaping hole in both our hearts, it also left a pile of hospital and funeral bills that we're struggling to pay. If it weren't for my job, keeping up with the payments would be next to impossible, and we'd have lost the house months ago.

Throwing on a pair of old skinny jeans and a jumper, I try my best to style my hair in a somewhat cute but messy bun. Looking at my reflection in the mirror, the final result doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Grabbing my glasses from the vanity and my converse from under the bed, I check my appearance one last time in the mirror before I make my way to the door.

"I'm leaving, Nan. I'll see you when I get home. I love you, bye!" I shout as I grab my back from its place by the door and leave.

The walk to school is only a short 10-minute walk from where I live, and it gives me time to think about things. I begin to wonder if picking up a few more shifts at work will help; the extra money would certainly come in handy. I'll ask Jack what he thinks tonight.

He's always willing to help out. He knows the situation I'm in and he always gives me the overtime when I need it, despite his complains that I already work too much.

By the time I get to school, the first bell has just begun to ring, alerting the other students and myself that our first lesson is about to start. Making my way through the large double doors, I keep my head down and make my way to my first lesson, hoping that no one tries to talk to me.

In school, I like to try and stay as unnoticeable as humanly possible.

I don't crave attention and popularity like other girls my age do. Instead, I spend my time making sure I keep my grades up so when I leave this hell hole, I don't end up as a bored housewife or get stuck in a dead – end job for the rest of my life.