Chapter 8 - Edited ✓

Harper's POV

It was now the middle of November me and Angelo had been hanging out for almost a month now, it only confirmed that I did have feelings for the man, but he made it clear that the time we spent together was only as friends when he suggested the idea a month ago. It made my heart ache slightly that he only saw me as a friend, but if spending time with him as friends enabled me to spend time with him, I'd take it. 

Over the last month, we'd spent a lot of time together to the point where my nan began questioning me on where I was going; I suppose spending the past six years as a recluse and suddenly spending time outside the house that didn't involve me going to work shocked her slightly.

Angelo was a great person to spend time with; he was full of exciting stories from when he was a child. Growing up in a completely different background to me he'd experienced much more as a child than I had, he told me stories about how he grew up in and around all of his father's hotels in and around the country until he finally settled in London when he was 10. However, he never mentioned his mum; it made me wonder if they had a strained relationship with her. I decided it was best to leave this particular can of worms unopened; curiosity did kill the cat.

He also told me that his father originally owned the company he owned and he had inherited it some time ago. It amazed me how much he accomplished in such a short period, the way his eyes became brighter and less cloudy when he spoke about what his plans for Deluca corporation made my heart flutter he was proud of what he'd accomplished after taking over from his father. 

I wanted to ask him about his father he was the only parent he ever spoke about and it was clear that Angelo adored the man, from the way his lips always showed a slight ghost of a smile when he talked about him. However, something inside me still held me back from asking about his dad; something didn't seem right.

The day I first met up with Angelo was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life, he'd be meeting the Harper who didn't wear make-up or tight-fitting clothes he'd be seeing the version of me that wore baggy clothes and glasses. Even though we were spending time together as friends, I was scared that he wouldn't want to be seen with someone as plain and simple as me

. However, that wasn't the case, after planning to meet up over text we settled on one of the coffee shops in town, the planning process was stressful, two ordinary people usually decided on a date, time and location and they'd meet up. Not with Angelo and me, we had to work around both of our schedule's his business one and my school and sleeping one which proved more complicated than we first thought. 

However, it went perfectly we spoke about what was going on in both our lives and the conversation never died out, he made me laugh and for the first time in a long while I had a friend, even though I secretly wanted more from this relationship.

When Angelo and I weren't spending time together, we text each other regularly, even though he refused to text me when I was in school stating that my education was more important, though he ended up confessing to me that he'd text me in a business meeting when they got too tedious for him. However, there was one Monday morning that I resented him even having my number, the day that Angelo decided to pick me up before school to take me to get coffee it was going fine until I told him I'd have to go soon to make sure I got to school on time, but Angelo had other ideas.

Flashback – Harpers POV

"How are you even functioning properly so early in the morning" I grumbled as I got in the back seat of the limo. "Years of early morning business meetings and early morning flights around the country" Angelo replied he laughed when he saw how grumpy I was.

"Coffee now please" is all I can say as I settle into the comfortable leather seats in the limo.

Five minutes later, we reach the coffee shop; it had become a regular place for Angelo and me; it was a small shop that not many people knew about it was our hidden gem. "Harper, go and get us a table while I order, you having your usual?" Angelo asks as we walk through the front door of the shop. "Yes please, I'm paying next time though," I say with an eyebrow raised trying my best to look intimidating, it fails as I hear Angelo chuckling as I make my way to an empty table.