39 - Leonardo

The monster swung us around a few times. It made my head spin. I tried to get the periscope up to get it to unlatch. It was no use. What else was there to use?

"That's it!" Donnie cried from the cockpit. "It's got us! We're gonna die!"

I braced for impact of the sub falling in on itself. I waited for a few moments. Then I heard a whale-like sound. Pausing in confusion and slight disgust, I looked at everyone else in turn. Donnie looked petrified, Mikito looked awkward, Naomi seemed in her natural state but I think I saw a hint of confusion, Raph looked horrified, and Mikey looked disgusted.

Mikey raised his arms up and flailed them. His fingertips barely touched the top of the sub. "Hey! We're not that kind of sub!"

"What the heck is that supposed to mean, Mikey?" Naomi turned to him.

The two bickered back and forth as I shook my head. I remembered a latch that had words on it just above my head. Hopefully this did something... I lifted my hand and pulled on the lever. As I did, I heard a door or two open on the outside. Thankfully Nessy hasn't closed off those gates. A boom sounded shortly after and the sea monster let go.

"C'mon!" I ordered. I started to pedal. The others quickly followed suit. Turning to a window, I saw Nessy swimming away. Finally, a break.

Leading the sub, we headed back the way we came. The current was a bit strong, but we managed. Finally, we arrived back to the sewers. The final few turns were too strong for the sub so Donnie docked it in a nearby open area. It was just big enough to raise the top of the sub out of the water.

As soon as Donnie docked it, and before the rest of us could get up, he had bolted out of the sub. My guess was that he was also ringing April up. Shaking my head, I helped everyone out of the turtle sub. Halfway through helping Mikito up, I heard a shout in tunnels. It didn't sound bad or anything, so I didn't think of it any different.

"Isn't this not too far from Leatherhead's section?" Mikito asked with a turn off her head. "It looks really familiar."

"I'm pretty sure it is," I told her. "We'll have Leatherhead--" I paused and looked down immediately. I had completely forgotten that the large reptile had sacrificed himself to save us. I turned to Mikey. Even he was looking down.

Naomi nodded and brushed her hands off, "Yeah, that current was pretty strong..."

"Guys!" Donnie's voice came from the tunnels. He was rushing back to us. "April's okay!"

"That's wonderful, Donnie!" Raph started off rather sarcastically. "Now don't ditch us next time! Turtles first, right?"

"What about Na--" Mikito started.

Raph turned to her with a frown, "She's apart of the team; she's a turtle!" As if realising what he just said, Raph cleared his throat and pushed past Donnie.

Donnie looked at his phone in relief. Either way, at least the nerve racking deal with April was done. At least for the time being.

I motioned for everyone else to follow suit. Even if Raph embarrassed himself, we were still going home. Leading them back home, we passed Leatherhead's old section. I took a few steps slower to catch up with Mikey. I set my hand on his shoulder and gave him a small hug. He smiled at me.

Finally entering the lair, we went our separate ways. Naomi and Mikey fled to the kitchen. It was then I hoped Naomi was cooking more than Mikey. Mikey can cook, yes, but only for himself. As I sat down to watch Space Heroes, I saw Raph enter the kitchen as well. Mikito blocked my peripheral vision from the kitchen as she sat down to join me in watching the TV show.