Chapter 7: Mountains

"By drawing in the ambient energies that permeate the air, we gain their strength. Therein lies the origin of a fighter's ability and the determinant to how far they'll go. So, if the breath is the source of all strength, what ought a warrior to do?"

I panted as I looked up to see my mentor far and above surpassing me.

I wasn't going to sugar coat it ladies and gents. This trail was kicking my cute butt.

I sat down and drank some water as I heard Priam stop and take a break as well. For today's training he had dragged me up this mountain side. It didn't help that he was built like a god while I had about as much endurance as a bag of Gaius' sweets.

"Um... Seek out the purest air possible?" I heaved out in one breath. He had been chattering the whole time during this exorcise to my astonishment. It was surprising how much of a chatterbox he was when I wasn't verbally able to cut him off.

No really he was worse than me I think.

"Indeed! Air quality is of critical importance when training. This is why warriors have labored in deep woods and waterfalls for ages." He proudly exclaimed.

I took another deep breath as I gave him a small cheer.

Well I was laboring all right.

"Shall we continue?" I nodded and heaved my huge pack the man actually looked a little excited as we neared our mystery location. I was truly curious as well since I had cleared two whole days for this little field trip.

"Man this is an intense climb!" I shouted forward to him as he was practically jogging compared to my pace.

I'm a book worm not a marathoner.

"You want intense? Let's talk about my first training expedition into the woods." I heard him shout back. "I was but a boy, 11 or 12 perhaps, and I was attacked by a ferocious bear."

Bear meat sounded dang good right now.

"A bear attacked you when you were 12?!" I shouted climbing over a small cliff as he helped me up his face open and non-guarded.

"It did." His eyes held a twinkle of mischief as his stoic voice replied.

I gasped as I eagerly asked. "So...did you defeat it?"

"How else would I be telling you this blistering tale if I hadn't?" He chuckled slightly as I froze dead on the spot and felt a blush travel up to my face.

Could I die now? I think a part of my lung was already on the trail all I had to do was exhale the other part and I was good.

"...Oh. Um, right."

Oh God strike me with lightning please.

"I owe my victory to the crisp mountain air. With every breath, I drew into me the very spirit of the woods. The sighs of the trees of ages old whorled about me just waited to be utilized! And as I breathed deep, I began to refine that energy. To temper it..." I heard his sentence fall as he became silent. I looked up wanting to know what got him to shut up and stood in wonder at the sight I was seeing.

It was a secluded natural spring. With a roaring beautiful waterfall that fell into a pool before going to travel in a river that cut through the land nearby the camp. I stared awed at how beautiful this place looked.

It was stunning. He grabbed my hand and led me down the rock cliff to get to the pool. I smiled as he took a deep breath of fresh air and let out a huge sigh. His eyes were so vibrant and alive. It was a slight to behold. The usually guarded and stoic man that I had first met was now relaxed and just purely content. His deep eyes met mine. I blushed as I realized I had been staring.