Chapter 9: An Unforgettable Valentine's Day

I hate swamps. I scraped off another thick layer of sludge from off the bottom of my boots. Chrom had gotten us lost in a swamp during the scout mission and had led us through a huge nasty marsh. I gagged as I felt mud squish in my boots, I had done the horrible mistake of not taking my Pegasus because it was just a small mission.

"Come on bubbles it's not that bad." I looked over at Gaius who was almost completely clean. The assassin was lazily working on a sucker as I glared at him.

"Well you aren't covered in a thick layer of gross, ya overgrown ginger bread cookie."

"Just go and take a bath. Or are you worried you're going to walk in on some other poor unsuspecting fool like usual? And on Valentine's Day none the less!" He had an evil grin on as his teasing voice made my cheeks red. 

Gaius and Chrom both found out that I had walked in on them in the bath house and the two of them were giving me a world of teasing for it.

I threw a glob of the sludge at him, the deft assassin dodging. He chuckled and left yelling "Try not to get caught peeping this time bubbles."

Oh I was going to kill him!

I watched as he scurried off before I could throw my boot at him. I gave a small huff and shoved the boot back on.

Panne chuckled lightly as she noted. "You two act like siblings more than comrades."

I glanced over at her and agreed. "Yeah, I wish I could murder him sometimes."

"Me as well." She continued to try to detangle the swamp grass from her fur the woman getting more and more frustrated.

"This sludge is impossible! I don't want Gregor to see me like this. "

My eyes widened as I gave a yelp of shock.

Panne shook her entire body, the swamp water and mud flinging onto me. I looked down at myself and then her, defeat in my eyes. She strutted away perfectly unaware.

I groaned and marched to my tent I grabbed all my bath stuff. I hated how the bathing tents were set up. You couldn't tell if someone was using the baths or not so it lead to a lot of pranks and people accidentally walking in on others.

Not to mention the singles in camp loved to pull "innocent pranks" on Valentine's Day. And boy had I been subject to all of them. From tipping and falling face flat in front of a hot guy. Being handcuffed to a poor young solider. Getting twenty love letters from eligible bachelors. To someone trying to set me up on five blind dates. Some had even gone as far as having a contest on who could flirt with me the most throughout the day. The worst was when I had seven random strangers confess their undying love to me. One weird guy went so far as  to propose to me by giving me a fish and a tuba.

I was honestly tired over all of the years of being single and my friends trying to "help".

I took off my sticky armor and tried to strip myself of the more muddy armor I had on. I yanked my ponytail out and started to make my way to the baths.

I shivered as the night air went straight through me. Fall was starting to come and cold nights like these were becoming more common. Also it's not that I disliked the baths but a lot of pranks ended up being pulled and mix ups happened a lot. I felt my cheeks become red, two of the cases being me walking in on Chrom and then Gaius.

I felt my heart drop as I realized almost everyone else from the scouting mission had the same thought. Lines formed outside of the multiple tents. I clung to my cleaning supplies.