Chapter Two

"Sir, I think she's ready for the program." Colonel Karpov said in his usual thick Russian accent. He was walking beside a slightly shorter and older American man who looked like the fatherly type which stood out against all the slimy looking men occupying the Hydra base. From the older man's stance, you could tell he was someone of great importance. Karpov seemed slightly nervous as he awaited the American's answer.

"How could she be ready? She only just turned six." The man said and Karpov gulped at the man's sharp tone.

"Well, she's far more advanced than what we originally thought. She's already passed all of our evaluations and she's now proficient in several languages." Karpov paused as he decided to add in something else. "She soaked up every lesson the asset taught her and I think it would prove to be beneficial to us if we started the program right now." The American man sighed as he stopped walking and turned to look at Karpov.

"And why's that?"

"Well, the sooner we can train her the sooner we can send her out in the field. Right now she's too fragile to do any real sparing with the Winter Soldier even with what's left of Erskine's formula in her. If we can inject her with Stark's leftover serum then she could train with the Winter Soldier right away." Karpov explained to the man. The American stood back and thought long and hard about what the Russian colonel just told him. It was true... Emma was stronger, faster, and smarter than the average six year old... Hell, she was almost as strong as a full sized man with her grandfather's leftover super soldier serum that managed to be passed down to her. It still wasn't enough for them.

The original plan was to obtain Emma Rogers and then prepare her for her destiny with Hydra. She was too young to understand how powerful of a weapon she was going to be for them. They had the Winter Soldier but if they had Emma then Hydra would be unbeatable. It was all they could hope for since the previous Winter Soldier program failed. It didn't look like they would be able to use those other super soldiers anytime soon so Emma was the only hope they currently had. The older American man looked back at a hopeful Karpov, his decision made.

"Wait another year and by then she'll be ready for us. Send me all recordings of her training sessions in the meantime; I want to keep an eye on her progress." Karpov nodded furiously as he agreed to the man's request.

"Yes, of course, Mr. Pierce. Thank you." Alexander Piece clapped a hand against Karpov's shoulder, giving him a friendly smile.

"Don't mention it, Karpov...Good job by the way. Hydra appreciates your hard work." Karpov smiled in return, humbled by the fact that one of the head operatives of Hydra was congratulating him. There was nothing better he could ask for. Pierce gave him one last look before walking away from the excited colonel. This would prove to be an eventful year for Hydra.

"Colonel Karpov, Sir?" Emma asked and the colonel in question gave her a glare. They were in "The Cold Room" again which was where Emma was permitted to focus on her studies. She knew that the colonel hated when she spoke English but he had been more laid back on the language ever since she had proven to be fluent in various other languages. Emma was currently reading a book about Sudan's economics, required reading apparently, when the question popped into her head. It wasn't the first time she had thought of the question but it was definitely the first time she had gathered enough courage to ask it.

"What?!" He hissed and Emma tried to bury any fear of another beating before she answered.

"Where is Winter?" This threw Karpov off as he stared back at the nervous looking six year old.