Chapter Thirty Two

Normally on a night like this one, Emma would've liked to curl up with a good book and listen to some David Bowie as she read another one of her books but it didn't look like Emma was going to get what she wanted. No, instead of relaxing in her bedroom Emma was suiting up in her Viper Assassin uniform which she hadn't worn in a few months. Since Peter seemed so hell bent on going to a party and impressing his school boy crush Emma would also have to watch him from a safe distance to make sure he didn't screw up anything. This was so not how she wanted to spend her Wednesday night.

"Where are you off to?" Darcy asked as she gave Emma a curious look from the doorway of Emma's bedroom. Emma didn't bother shutting the door when she changed because it wasn't like she was really hiding anything. Darcy realized then that she had never seen the teenage girl in uniform so the sight was quite shocking. Even Darcy had to admit that the dark green color was a good look for her. Emma glanced at her nonchalantly as she held her mask in her hands.

"Babysitting Spider-Twerp. It turns out that the guy is way more trouble than he's worth." Darcy crossed her arms as she gave Emma a look of amusement.

"I didn't realize he was that important to you." Emma looked away from Darcy and scowled at her mask.

"He's not. It seems like Stark left behind another mess and I'm the one who has to clean it up since no one else is around." Emma said bitterly but Darcy didn't quite believe her. If really didn't care about this spider guy then she wouldn't bother helping him out. Darcy never took Emma as the type to clean up other people's messes and especially messes left by Stark. Emma wasn't like Steve. She didn't feel the need help others...only if she thought it could help herself or the people she cared about in the long run.

"Well, be careful." Darcy told her, not knowing what else to say. Emma just smirked at Darcy as she put her mask on and Darcy marveled at the way the red lenses in her mask lit up. The mask made her superhero alter-ego look even more reptilian.

"I always am." Emma replied before she leapt onto the window sill and then flew out the window into the night with little effort. Darcy sighed as she leaned against the doorway and stared at the window.

"I'm never going to get used to super people."

Emma was perched on the rooftop of Liz's house as she looked through the glass windows of the house. She would never understand why people had so many windows put into their houses when it made for such easy vantage points. She wasn't worried about anyone seeing her since it was dark by that time of night. Everyone was already too preoccupied with the party to spot her anyways and it's not like Emma really stood out in her dark green colored suit. She had the red lenses of her mask up as she used her own enhanced vision to look for Peter. Emma had to admit she was a little surprised to see Michelle at the party but who knew what went on through that girl's mind? Emma immediately gritted her teeth in annoyance when spotted Peter and Ned at the party. Peter looked around the house with an oblivious look on his face. You'd think a person with enhanced abilities would be able to detect when someone was watching them. Apparently not.

"It looks like I'm officially on babysitting duty." Emma grumbled to herself.

"It sure does seem that way, Miss Rogers." McConaughey said.

"At least I have you for company, McConaughey." Emma told the AI system. "I don't know what I'd do if I had to sit here all night and watch Spider-Twerp miserably fail flirting with his school boy crush."

"That doesn't sound like your usual source of entertainment." McConaughey said, agreeing with her.

"Because it's not." Emma told him. "I didn't know anyone could be that bad at flirting. I think Steve's even better at flirting than he is."