Chapter Thirty Three

Emma woke up the next morning feeling refreshed after a long dreamless night of sleep. No nightmares but Emma knew that was only because she had too much on her mind. Usually Emma could last almost a week without sleep but with everything she had to deal with in the past couple of days, it was no wonder why she felt beat off her ass. Emma was just glad she did all her homework in Chemistry otherwise she'd be screwed. Wait a minute...since when did she care about homework or anything having to do with school? Emma was completely disgusted with her new thought pattern.

After returning to her and Darcy's townhouse last night Emma took a long and hot shower so that she could wash all the blood and dirt off of her. It must've taken her an hour to get all the dirt and leaves out of her hair. She was definitely going to need to head back to the salon soon but right now she didn't have anytime to worry about blow outs. When she walked through the front door last night, she remembered seeing Darcy and Jane staring at her with wide eyes. Emma had definitely been a sight to see looking as exhausted as she had as well as filthy. Emma remembered Darcy mentioning Jane coming over for a girl's night in so that explained why the astrophysicist was there. Emma vaguely recalled Darcy asking her what had happened and Emma just dismissively waved her hand as she headed upstairs, signaling that she wanted to be left alone. Last night was the first night of some real action that Emma had experienced since she worked for Hydra.

The blonde stared at her appearance in the mirror as she finished getting ready for school. She was dressed in a pair of bell bottom jeans and an old Killers concert shirt that she had stolen from Darcy. The shirt hung a bit loose on her frame since Darcy was way bigger in the chest area but the shirt felt comfortable. Emma completed the look with a pair of blue converse and minimal make-up. She didn't feel like dressing up after the night she had. Emma decided to put her hair up in a ponytail since she didn't feel great about it. She guessed her hair was a sensitive issue for her.

A few minutes Emma walked into kitchen and immediately sat at the kitchen table, planning on having a huge breakfast before she left. Jane Foster sat at the kitchen table going over some notes from her research when she spotted the teenager who was already piling every breakfast item onto her plate. Darcy had cooked an assortment of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon and Emma must've stacked more than half of the pancakes that Darcy had cooked and Darcy had cooked a lot. Jane raised her eyebrow at the tower of pancakes on Emma's plate and watched as Emma stuffed her face, looking nothing like the elegant sweet faced blonde she usually portrayed herself as.

"Hungry, much?" Jane asked her and Emma just looked up at the brunette, her mouth full of pancakes as she eagerly chewed her food before swallowing.

"Yes. I had a long night last night." Emma told her before eyeing the scrambled eggs hungerly.

"I know. We could see that." Jane replied as she remembered the haggard appearance of Emma the night before when she walked through the front door. It was then that Darcy joined them at the table with a large cup of coffee.

"Yeah. You looked like shit." Darcy told her as Emma shoveled down some scrambled eggs. Both Darcy and Jane were reminded of Thor which left the astrophysicist feeling a little sad as she deeply missed her boyfriend. "Care to explain what happened last night?"

"Why? Are you going to ground me?" Emma asked snarkily and Darcy snorted.

"No way. I'm just curious to know. Things have been pretty boring around here lately." Darcy explained as an excited gleam reached her eyes. "Tell me all about your superhero adventure." Jane could only rolled her eyes at Darcy's lack of parenting skills. Tony must've been insane if he willingly left Emma in the care of someone like Darcy. Darcy could take care of starving scientists like herself but teenage assassins? No, that was something else.