Chapter Seventeen

Emma looked around the main floor of tower awkwardly as someupbeat sounding music played inthe background. The main floor of the tower seemed much different that night than it had in the past. It was filled with not just superheroes but other party goers as well. Emma imagined that the other people were probably friends of Stark as well as scientists from around the world. Emma didn't really like the idea of being surrounded by a bunch of scientists but she took comfort in the fact that they most likely didn't have any idea as to who she was. The only other kind of people at the party were World War II veterans that Tony decided to throw the party in honor of. Stark also thought that Steve might feel more comfortable with the veterans seeing as how they were all the same age.

Natasha had taken to dressing Emma up in an actual dress for the first time. Emma didn't think that she had ever worn a dress before. Maybe back when her parents were alive but that was so long ago. It was a nice dress, Emma supposed. It was a pale blue that went nicely with her eyes although the color of the dress reminded her more of her father's eyes. The dress had a couple of two finger width straps that held it up and also had a very modest neckline not that she would've been showing any cleavage. She was fourteen and practically without any existing cleavage to show off. The dress flared out at her waistline and the end of it went just below her knee. The dress was paired off with a pair of matching flats. The only thing that Emma thought looked different about her was her hair which Natasha had slightly curled. Her now blonde curls were framing her face. The redheaded former spy also had added a bit of mascara to Emma's eyelashes and Emma didn't think that Steve would've like much more make-up than that.

Emma sort of felt pretty for the first time but she also felt out of place. Everyone at the party happened to be much older than Emma was and most of them didn't hesitate in reminding her of that. Emma sulked as she sat perched on the edge of the pool table while Steve and Sam played a round of the game. She had seen way more than what most of these people even saw in their nightmares yet they still talked down to her like a child. One woman even told Steve how adorable she was. Emma would've loved to show her how adorable she truly was.

"Are you up to playing a round, Emma?" Sam asked her, breaking her out of her train of thought. Emma glanced at Steve and him who were watching her curiously, probably wondering what was going through her mind. They really didn't want to know. Emma laughed before shaking her head.

"No, I don't think so. I don't really play games." Sam raised a brow.

"Come on, kid, just let loose a little. Have some fun." Sam told her. Emma just smirked before drinking the rest of her Shirley Temple, a drink that Stark had ordered for her because he thought he was so funny.

"Fun's overrated." Emma told the both of them before she hopped down from the table. "I'm going to see what the others are up to."

"Be careful." Steve told her, causing Sam to snicker and Emma to roll her eyes.

"I'm always careful. It's not like I'm exactly breakable." Steve just smirked before shaking his head at her.

"I meant be careful with the others...wouldn't want any of them to get hurt." Steve said jokingly causing both her and Sam to laugh as she began walking away.

"I'll try, Steve." She said and made her way up the small set of stairs where all the others were hanging out. She made her way through the crowds of people who watched her curiously as she went by. They were probably wondering what a girl her age was doing at a party thrown by Stark.

Emma noticed Clint chatting with Cho in one corner while Natasha sat on the couch talking with some people that Emma didn't recognize. Emma was pretty sure that this was just Natasha putting on her charming and friendly façade. Tony, Thor, Maria, and Rhodey stood near the bar having a conversation that Emma really didn't want to impose on. The only Avenger she saw by themselves was Bruce who awkwardly walked around the party, not looking very happy to be there. She knew exactly how he felt. Emma was just starting to think that she probably should've stayed behind with Steve and Sam when she saw a familiar face.