WEEK ONE: Sunday, Part 2 (Touji)

Sky Garden was an observatory at the top of Yokohama's Landmark Tower. It provided an amazing three-hundred-sixty-degree view of the city, especially the iconic CosmoWorld Ferris wheel. On a clear day, you could even see Mount Fuji in the distance. I'd been to Sky Garden dozens of times. It was one of the quintessential dating spots in town, and most every person I'd taken out had asked to go at one time or another. The most popular time to visit was just before sundown, because the sunsets from this high up were incredible.

But honestly, it had gotten kind of boring after a while. All my dates wanted to do the same things: wander slowly around the glass walls, seek excuses to reach for my hand, cuddle on the candle-lit benches after dark talking about poetic stuff like their dreams for the future or the meaning of happiness. It was a lot of standing and sitting around, a lot of strategic dodging when they got too touchy, a lot of the same overdone notions of romance.

Yuzuru was different. He ping-ponged from one side of the observatory to the other, cheering and pointing, beckoning me to come look at whatever caught his eye. He spent a good fifteen minutes trying to convince me he knew which of the tiny, twinkling lights out there was his apartment building. He oohed and aahed over the fancy light displays covering the nearby hotel buildings, and huffed his breath on the cold windows until they fogged over and he could play connect-the-dots with the traffic lights. He marveled at the beauty of the snow that glittered in the colored lights as it swirled past the windows. In general he was loud, distracting, and so full of wonder that it was contagious even to the people who'd come for a much more serene dating experience. It amazed me how many of them started off glaring at his antics, yet within seconds were smiling and laughing along with him instead.

I'd told him everything and he hadn't run from me. I was expecting him to. He'd run when Shino called me on the phone, run when he first met her, run when he saw her hugging me. It wouldn't have shocked me in the slightest if he'd run the moment I told him what else I'd done with her. But he hadn't. He'd—

God. I could still feel the rough, cold bricks at my back, his iron hold on my wrists, the liquid heat of his tongue in my mouth. You're mine now, right?

Was it really possible that this bubbly, childish fireball of excitement was the same guy who had just pinned me to the wall of an alley and made my knees buckle with his kisses? We hadn't been drinking, but I felt tipsy just watching him. He made my head feel light, and my heart too. All I could think, as I followed his zig-zagging path around the floor, was how utterly I worshipped him.

At one point, though, he did actually come to a full stop next to me, and got so quiet that I turned to look at him. He was staring wide-eyed at my neck, with a couple fingers pressed to his lips in chagrin. "Um..."

"Eh?"

"I think I may have, uh..." He flicked a finger in the direction of my collar, almost shyly.

"Huh?" I turned to look at my reflection in the window, and my mouth dropped open when I caught sight of the mark near my clavicle. I held my shirt collar out and tipped my head to see it better—even in the dim candlelight, it was dark enough to be unmistakable.

Next to me, Yuzuru was actually blushing. "I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

Well, this'll be tough to hide at school tomorrow. A warm glow spread through me, and I struggled not to grin as I laid my collar back in place.

"It's okay," I said. "Don't worry about it."

"I was too rough, wasn't I?" He reached out like he was going to touch my neck, then hesitated. "Does it hurt? I'm really sorry, Seryou."

Oh my god, his big-eyed innocence was going to kill me.

Okay, now I couldn't resist. I stepped behind him, put a hand on his upper arm to pull him into me, and dipped my mouth by his ear. "No one's ever given you a hickey before?"