I Don't Mind

Lucia:

"Are you listening?"

"Yes, of course." I straightened up, my chin on my hand and listening to Cesar. He narrowed his eyes at me, but continued to talk about the classmate of his who didn't know some of their medical slang. I glanced down at my phone, pretending to scratch something on my eye quickly. Nothing.

I knew Gabi was probably still sleeping off the massive hangover. She showed up to our house around three in the morning. And I knew this because I couldn't sleep. And hearing her mill around in her room had only kept me awake longer. She hadn't woken up yet when I'd left to meet Cesar for breakfast. I tried not to fret about Van or what the group had done. Remember, they're not going to be here much longer.

"You know what I mean?" Cesar leaned forward, touching my hand.

"Yeah." I grasped his hand with both of mine, looking around the coffee shop. The dull hum of the espresso machines and the earthy scent of coffee eased my tension momentarily.

"Come on, tell me about you. Oh, I almost forgot! Early admission applications are being accepted starting next week at the university." Cesar raised his eyebrows. "I heard good things about their business department."

"Business?" I scrunched my nose. "Why would I study business?"

"Well come on, they don't offer writing. And I always figured that was something you wanted to do on the side. And have a real job most of the time. You could do a lot with business."

"A real job?" I felt annoyance grow in my chest. "Besides, I already told you I want to save up a little more money to pay for school. I don't want to depend on my parents and I don't want to take out loans. Besides, I want to study writing, I already told you."

"Babe, your writing is fantastic, great really. But you need to think a little about what's going to pay the bills. There's a lot of people who have a creative habit on the side from their actual job." Cesar smiled, his voice teasing. Meanwhile, I was growing more agitated by the second. "And I know you don't want to take out loans, but if you wait any longer than you're going to be going to college when you're 30."

"There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, that's a great idea, maybe I'll just wait until then." I tightened my ponytail, a habit when I became irritated.

"Come on Lucia." Now his voice was not so teasing. "You know I'm only looking out for you."

I rubbed my face, taking a deep breath. "I don't really want to talk about this now."

"Well I'm just saying. You can't just work forever at the store and think your writing is going to suddenly change your life."

"Thanks for the bout of confidence." I rubbed my nose, this time not hiding when I looked at my phone. It had vibrated with a message.

Van: Are you busy tonight?

"Lucia?"

I scratched my eyebrow, writing a brief message. No. Why?

I was still bothered with how Van had suddenly turned cold on me last night. Maybe it wasn't intentional or it shouldn't have bothered me as much, but he was the reason why I'd decided to leave. Yet he was also the reason why I was desperate to know every part of the group's activities. But they were leaving soon. I probably would not see them, either in a long while, or maybe every again. These guys were already paving their way through a successful music career, and I'm sure we wouldn't get the chance to see them much. If they even decided to keep in contact in the first place.