The Difference

Lucia:

Where do I begin to unravel pieces of your

I shut my laptop down and stood up, stretching. Outside, someone mowed their lawn. I grabbed my earphones and phone and changed into a pair of leggings, ready to go for a run.

I was definitely in another dimension. I hated physical exercise. But something about running was strangely relaxing. 

I stretched my legs and began to walk once I stepped out the front door. I fiddled with my phone to avoid making eye contact with any neighbors around me. Scrolled through my music and Instagram. Opened the messages and see Van's last message glaring up at me. 

Van: Have you ever considered not acting like everything is about you?

I broke into a run, moving until my legs felt stiff and sweat leaked into my eyes. Van was halfway across the world right now. I hadn't seen him in a month. Now I wouldn't have to see him, for who knows how long. And I was ok with that. 

Perfectly ok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick and I went out again. It was nice. He was funny and cute and he didn't ask me what we were or should be.

We drank the same amount of coffee. He liked to people watch and didn't make fun of me when I told him what I wanted to write about. "Maybe you'll let me read something soon?"

I said, "Sure." 

This time when we went out again, we went to a museum. I wasn't a huge fan of museums, but Nick was,  and he wanted to show me his favorite one. We stood in front of a painting and he told me all about it and I nodded and said: "It's amazing." I didn't understand the symbolism, but he smiled at whatever I said. We stopped at another painting and he said something about the Welsh artist. "Welsh huh?" I murmured, looking at the painting. It was a dazzling blue sky hanging over a small little cabin. 

"Yeah, I've never been, but I heard it's amazing. Little beaches. Nice people. Although who knows, you know?"

I rubbed my chin. "Yeah, who knows." 

He kissed me while we were talking about some television show or a movie or something like that. I swallowed after he did, my lips warm. The feeling was nice. Have you felt better? I tried to shake the voice out of my head, rubbing my arms and looking around the museum. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I moved out a couple months after I promised I would. Nick came to meet my parents, and they began to get along over moving all my shit to Isabel and I's apartment. Gabi drove over to the new apartment to check it out, also coming to meet Nick. It was nice. At least she won't try and fall in love with this one. I forced myself to lift a heavier box as punishment for thinking that. But Nick met me before I got to the stairs and lifted the box up, offering me a smile that could definitely melt ice. 

"So you're the famous Nick." Gabi spoke up. I opened my mouth to say something, but Nick beat me to it. 

"Yup, and you're the famous Gabi."

Gabi smiled, putting an arm around my shoulders. "The older sister."

"We met before right?"

"We did?" Gabi frowned. 

I opened my mouth."At the club that one time. You were too drunk to remember." I scratched my head.

Gabi gave me a look. "Right I remember. Sorry, I did have a bit too much to drink. We were there with some friends. They weren't from around here so"-