I'd Love to Know

One week later:

Lucia:

The baby was crying. I furrowed my face into the pillow, feeling Van shift next to me. "Luz, the baby..." Van groaned into his pillow. 

"Please get him. I put him to sleep. We're taking turns, remember?"  Noah's cries pierced my ears. "Van"-

"I'm getting up I'm getting up." Van jerked his head up, finally moving out of the bed. I squeezed my pillow, falling asleep again. 

Van was in a bad mood the next morning, staring down at his mug of tea. "He stayed awake for another hour, and I had a conference call at 7 am. Nearly cried when my phone rang." Van sighed, pushing his mug away. "Christ, my head hurts."

"Oof poor baby."  I kissed the top of his head, pressing Noah's fragile body against me. I watched Van sigh and lean forward, resting his chin on his arms. "You're such a baby." I laughed, looking at Van's sad expression. "Poor rockstar didn't get his full eight hours." 

"You're mean." Finally, Van cracked a smile, pressing a hand against his mouth while he yawned. He tapped his fingers against the table, watching as I rocked Noah and walked toward our living room window. "Lucia," Van cleared his throat when I met his eye, looking down at the table again and running a hand through his hair. "I, um, nevermind."

"Nevermind? What's wrong?" 

Van's demeanor seemed to change completely. "Nothing." He avoided whatever he was going to say. Suddenly, he looked up again, smiling. "What are you doing tonight?"

I watched Noah's eyes close, finally looking up to Van. "Hmmm, I have to finish this piece of the manuscript for"-

"Blah blah blah. Let's go out. Like a proper date. Again."

"A proper date? What's the occasion?" 

Van stood up, his leg knocking against the table. "Shit. And nothing, just want to hang with my girl. In a diaper-free environment maybe, is that ok No?" Van walked over to us and bumped his body against mine, looking down at Noah. "Do you think Isabel would mind...?"

"I'll call her, but no promises." 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bumped bodies against Van while we walked to the elevator. His arm moved around my waist and he took a deep breath while he fiddled with the car keys in one hand. Isabel had stayed in our apartment with Noah. I was nervous about leaving Noah, but I had missed a moment with just Van and me. 

"You look extra gorgeous tonight. Almost makes me wanna stay in with you and ask Isabel if she could take Noah instead." 

I rolled my eyes, walking into the elevator before Van. "You get annoyingly horny really quick."

"I know, what's wrong with me? God, it's almost like I, I dunno, love you and have romantic feelings for you." Van laughed after pressing the button to the lobby. I swallowed, pulling my shirt away from me. I had a little bit of weight to lose before I really felt back to normal. No one ever mentioned the stuff after pregnancy, like how your body still felt completely strange. There were some parts Van hadn't seen, and I wondered when I would feel back to normal. 

Van walked ahead of me out of the elevator. "Where are we going?" I pushed my hair back, following Van. 

"It's a surprise."

"You're full of surprises tonight." Van held the door open for me. "I can drive by the way."

"Luz, I'm not the worst driver in the world." Van laughed as we walked to the car.