Make a Choice or Two

Van:

I hung up the phone, watching Lucia's picture disappear abruptly. My background replaced it, where Lucia had her arms slung around me, looking at me while I turned to look at something behind us. This was my favorite photo of us.

"I thought I told you to get away from me." I murmured after the screen dimmed, looking up from my phone.

Nyree crossed her legs, pulling her skirt down. Lola's house was strangely quiet. Her speakers really had blown out, but she'd made up for it with some shitty little Bluetooth thing she had. It disconnected every few minutes though, and I think they'd just given up on playing music. No one was really dancing anyway, they were too busy falling over each other. "Did you finally get what you want? With this girl?" She licked her lips after she spoke.

I rubbed my chin, "I don't"-

"Was she a big fan? Did she stalk you down? That's what you like right? When the girls are falling over you? I s'pose that's what you liked about me." Nyree looked at her nails, then grabbed the cup in front of her. "Big rockstar Van loving when all the girls looked at him."

"It's been a while for you to still be bitter." I moved to stand up, but Nyree stood up first. She brushed a hand against her mouth, moving closer to me. I stepped back, but she kept walking to me. "What do you want?"

"How long did it take you to get with this one? Really. Because I swore you were talking about how much you loved me two weeks before you left." Nyree shook her head.

I laughed. "You've got some nerve. But I don't want to talk to you anymore. I don't get why I even did in the first place."

"Is it cause you miss me?" Nyree smiled a big red smile. I rolled my eyes, standing up.

"Deffo not. Don't know why you even bother coming to these parties anyway. These are more my friends than yours." Nyree followed me into the living room. There were only a few people talking and drinking. I felt hot. I didn't need everyone to witness Nyree pulling a scene.

I walked out of the house, intent on keeping my word and walking home like I'd told Lucia. "Well, they like me!" Nyree walked behind me still. Her hand touched my shoulder and I cringed.

"Leave me alone Nyree. Christ, I don't know what you want now. Because I'm assuming you need something right?"

"Yeah, I need you." Nyree brushed against me, her hand pulling my face towards her. I pulled back, pressing a hand to her shoulder. "You wrote a whole fucking album after me, don't say you don't want to." She sighed, her hands closing around my shoulders.

"No, I don't." I yanked away from her and walked into the front yard. There were only a couple people here, too. I would've waited to talk to Lola, but I was desperate to get home. A dying party was giving Nyree the idea that we'd get along again.

"Van, come on. Don't act like you don't miss what we were!" Nyree's voice rose.

I turned to look at her one last time. "I don't! At all!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks later:

Lucia:

I put my head down, listening to everyone talk around me.

"Earth to Lucia! Your input would be greatly appreciated." Luca tapped my head.

"Yeah, do whatever." I yawned. My body felt drained.

"Oh come on." Ashley yawned. "You're going to make me sleepy."