Your Life

Lucia:

I leaned over the sink, looking at myself in the mirror. My eye makeup was a little smeared. The color on my lips was faded. Van's ex, one he'd written pretty much an entire beautiful and romantic album for, was waiting outside.

The music throbbed loudly. The walls vibrated. I washed my hands and leaned against the counter. No wonder Van had acted so strangely. No wonder he hadn't told me anything.

I left the bathroom, managed a brief smile for Nyree, and kept walking back to Van. He looked at me, chewing on his bottom lip. Surely he'd seen her make her way to the hall where I was. "She's no one, huh?" I yelled into his ear, but the song was fading so he could hear me better. He leaned back, swallowing.

"Lucia, I can"- But the music interrupted him. He swallowed and grabbed my hand. "We're leaving." He yelled out, already leading me away.

I let him pull me out the door until we were standing in the front yard. There were more people hanging outside, laughter ringing out over the muffled music from inside. I figured we'd run into Bondy, but I didn't see him at all. I swallowed and looked at Van. His jaw was hard, his eyes looking around the front yard. "Why? Why are you trying to run from her Van?" Gabi was right. Dear god, in the end, my sister had known about Van more than I had.

And he said he loved me?

"Lucia, I didn't know she was going to be here tonight." Van ran his hand against his hair. "And I'm not running from her. Obviously, I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to stay there and act casual."

"Right. It's not every day you see the girl you dedicated an album to."

"It wasn't all for her," Van mumbled. I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on."

"Oh come on?" I rubbed my face. "So now I'm the one who's being difficult?" Van grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the front yard. I yanked my hand away from his, keeping my hands at my sides. We were obscured by a bunch of bushes, but I could hear most of the party going on behind us.

"I don't want all of these people knowing my business. Can we at least talk in the car?"

"You expect me to believe this is the first time she's been at your friend Lola's parties? Like she magically appeared today?"

"No, obviously, she's been here before, but"-

"What? You're socializing with your ex that you wrote a bunch of fucking lovely songs for, like it's nothing?" My voice got loud. I swallowed, digging my nails into my palms.

"Lucia, obviously I know it's not nothing. I've seen her a couple of times, but I don't talk to her. And obviously, since you and I got together I wasn't even going to think about talking to Nyree."

I swallowed. "She was right." I brought my hands together.

"Who was right?"

"How could you tell Gabi all about your exes and whatnot, and then keep me in the dark? And get mad when I ask you about them?"

Van swallowed. "It was different. I guess I could tell Gabi more because I didn't feel for her as much as I did you. I'd care too much about what you think to tell you."

I shook my head. "What a fucking load of bullshit Van. Stop telling me what you think I want to hear!"

He raised his hands, defeated. "Christ, what is wrong with you?" A loud burst of yelling interrupted us. I used the opportunity to move away from Van. His footsteps rang behind me. "Lucia, I'm"-

I reached Van's car. "Unlock the car please." I crossed over to the passenger seat. Van sighed, and the car unlocked. I slid into the passenger seat, staring ahead.