You Tend to Lose

Lucia:

"You...kissed him?" My mouth felt too dry. I swallowed, the sweetness of the frosting I'd just swallowed suddenly too overbearing. "He kissed...you?"

"Yeah, please, don't look at me like that." Gabi laughed nervously. "I know what I said. I know that I thought you liked Van more than just a friend. But hearing how happy you are with Cesar, well, I realized that I was exaggerating the way you were looking at Van. I'm sorry I was so quick to assume things."

I swallowed, looking at the remains of the cake on my lap. "Well, yeah. But I figured you wouldn't want anything to do with Van because he's leaving soon and he probably won't care about seeing you." I know my words were harsh. 

"I mean, I'm not expecting to get married to the guy. We just kissed, that's all. Then isn't middle school Lucia."

"Whatever. Yeah, I guess." I swallowed again. I stood up, heading to the kitchen. "I'm going to bed."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cesar: Lucia

Cesar: Come on.

Cesar: I'm going to your house if you keep ignoring me. 

Don't come to my house. I sent the message quickly before I could change my mind. I need you to give me some space. 

I sent that too, feeling my stomach quiver. I tucked my hair behind my ear, and looked down at the coffee mug in front of me. 

"Lucia, pass the fruit please." Gabi smiled sweetly. I passed her the fruit and attempted to smile, but I'm sure my mouth remained slack. 

I felt my phone vibrate on my thigh. Multiple times. A call. 

Cesar.

I rejected the call, leaning forward and taking a deep breath. 

New Voicemail. 

Van: Hey, about tonight. We don't know any places around here, so pick a restaurant or anything. My treat :) And tell your sister, too. 

I thought you had her number?  I was feeling bold today I guess.

Van: I don't think so...

I didn't bother to respond, but looked at Gabi. "Van told me to tell you that we should all go out tonight because they're leaving tomorrow."

"Oh yeah." She pouted. Actually pouted. "Where does he want to go?"

"I don't know he told us to choose."

"What about the restaurant that serves that avocado dip with the donkey statue?" 

I hated their food. "Sure."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As predicted, internally I was seething. Not just at Van, but at myself. And ok, still at Cesar. But that was different. I was mad at Van for obvious reasons, one: kissing my sister, two: kissing me, three (and the worst one yet): not kissing me again. 

And I was mad at myself for being a hormonal dumb bitch. 

I began to get ready for tonight. I felt like getting revenge somehow. But god, I still liked Van. He was so annoyingly charming, and when he swallowed and his jaw got tense. God. I smeared makeup on and still thought if so and so highlight or lip color would get his attention. Get over it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van:

We walked into the restaurant. I gripped the tiny box in my pocket. I knew it probably wasn't much, but I knew Lucia would love it. I couldn't wait to see her face. The restaurant was loud and filled with weird donkey statues. I wouldn't have guessed this was her type of place.