Thinking Straight

Lucia:

"This would be much easier if you had some alcohol in you." 

I fought back a yawn, sliding against the headboard of my bed and adjusting the laptop on my thigh. I wasn't even paying attention to the movie really, I was just looking for something to focus the static in my brain. 

"Can you help me get this shirt off?" 

I fluffed my pillows, leaned against them. Checked my phone, scrolled through my contacts, stopped at Van's name. 

"I think I love you."

"Of fucking course." I paused the movie and stretched. It was nearing one am, but I couldn't even close my eyes. Yesterday night with Van had pretty much killed any chance of me getting a good night's rest for the next year at least. And he hadn't said a word to me, which was to be expected. 

Maybe I'd finally driven him away. Maybe he was never intending much with me to begin with. Maybe everything was shitty and that was just the way it was! Forever!

I resumed the movie and watched the two main characters passionately embrace, deciding that every single romance film was full of shit and totally completely unrealistic. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van:

"I would like to propose a toast. To the great city of Los Angeles for always keeping us the right amount of drunk and entertained. Entertained both sober and drunk." 

"Yeah yeah." I drank from my coffee, looking around the restaurant. So many people talking and eating, faces that probably wouldn't look twice at us. Thank god. In this moment in time, I was right relieved no one knew our name much yet. 

"Soz what's the plan tonight after the Wiltern? Drink until I don't remember who I am? Dance? Meet some pretty girls?"

"Bondy, I thought you already had your girl."

"Well yeah, but I'm talking about you lads. I'm such a compassionate friend that I'm always thinking ahead for everyone. Well I'm guessing Van doesn't need my help much, but."

"Shut up Bond." I took another drink of coffee.

"Oh yeah, what was that about last night? Can you give me a lift Lucia? I don't feel like drinking Lucia. How's about you take off my shirt Lucia?"

I balled up my napkin and threw it at Benji. He grinned. "Oh Benji lad, don't torment Van, can't you see he's still madly in lust with Lucia? I suppose you two should just shag already and let us get on with our lives. Except, wait a minute, you're leading her sister on as well! Oh how could I forget." Bondy rolled his eyes. 

"It's not like that. It's never been like that." I rubbed my forehead, taking another drink of coffee. I cleared my throat and looked towards the other tables. I saw long brown hair and equated that to Lucia. Her hair was straight, Gabi's was curly. 

"Come off, I'm tired of you ruining our fun. Maybe you should just not talk to Lucia for a while."

"What?" I looked at Bondy.

"Vanny boy, you make things weird. Sorry. Or how about this? Be honest with Gabi, and then shag Lucia. And then stop killing our fun. And then, buy me a round for making you think straight finally."

"You're mad." My phone vibrated in my jacket pocket. I took it out quickly, seeing Larry's name. "Cheers Larry, I figured you'd be dead asleep by now."

"I'm not. Had a night out with Lou and her friends and well, you know how that goes."

"Right." I thought of Larry's girl. She was a big talker, and couldn't stand a minute being cooped up in their flat. "How's everything up there?"