I Didn't Realize

Van:

I woke up with Larry screaming at the television. The room was hot, and I reached for my phone to check the time. The beginnings of a message from Lucia shone brightly on the screen. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and opened the message. 

Lucia: 

Van,

Who do you think u are? My sister??????? fuck you !

Stupid mouth..,,,

Lucia:

I jerked up in bed, feeling the sweat lining my forehead. A figure rolled over next to me, and pulled down the sheets. Nick snored, loudly. I rubbed my mouth, feeling the throbbing of a headache starting up. 

My phone began to ring loudly. It was in the room, but muffled. I groaned and pressed my fingers against my temple and laid back down, but the ringing continued. Finally, I stood up and listened for the phone, finding it under my pile of clothes from the night before. 

Van

Why was Van calling me? I answered slowly, bringing the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"What in the hell is wrong with you?" Van's voice cut sharply through my headache. I swallowed, my throat aching. 

"Van, what do you mean?"

"Your sister? Fuck me?" A burst of static. I looked around the room, swallowing another two times. "Lucia, what is fucking wrong with you? You send me a text in the middle of the night cussing me out for what exactly?"

"I don't, I"- I slipped out of my bedroom, leaned against the wall in our little living room and studied the carpet. I shut my eyes. "Van, I honestly don't know what you're"-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Van:

She continued to stammer out some words. "I honestly don't know what you're"- 

"Save it." I gripped the phone tightly. I imagined her standing there, confused. It was almost hilarious to think about. Except, who did she think she was? "I really meant not wanting to be on bad terms with you, but you're really going out of your way to achieve the opposite." 

Finally she snapped. "Oh please. Did you ever think anything was going to be normal between us again? I've had your tongue shoved down my throat before and"-

"Well, you didn't seem to mind." I hissed out the last part, staring at my bedroom ceiling. A deep intake of breath on her end. I took this as an opportunity to continue. "Besides, you have Nick."

"And you have Gabi." She said. "Except explain to me how you went to wanting to be with me to being with her in a matter of months." 

"I don't have to explain a damn thing to you." I hung up, feeling the blood running through my head. Larry screamed in the living room again. I threw open my bedroom door and yelled, "Larry shut the fuck up!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucia:

I threw my phone on the carpet and got minimal joy from watching it jump on the carpet. Van's words continued to course through my mind, and I wanted to punch something. 

My phone chimed again. 

Gabi: Do you have time for lunch in your busy schedule?

I hovered over the keyboard. Made up my mind.