When You Do That

Two months later:

Lucia:

I took a deep breath, leaning against the bar counter. Isabel and her work friends were on the dance floor again. Yes, I had said it would be best if I avoided that guy Cody after the last time, yet here I was. I took a sip of my drink, feeling the warmth spread through my body. 

It wasn't intentional that I ended up here. I'd been minding my own business and pretending that Van hadn't left such a huge hole in my life when I saw his picture. It was one of those fucking obscure Catfish blogs. Dear God, and to be honest, I'd looked for it, too. He was in the middle of a tour, and this picture was him nearly kissing the microphone, his eyes closed while he gripped his guitar. 

How many girls had come after me? I was definitely not thinking Van was wallowing in celibate heartbreak. No, I was pretty sure he'd carried on. And what were rockstars known for? Not celibacy. Not wallowing. 

"Hey." Speaking of the devil, Cody slid into the stool next to me, his knee bumping against mine. I smiled tightly, gripping my glass. His eyes really were disarming. They reminded me of Van's, but Van's were warmer, if that made sense. When Cody looked at me, it felt like I was bathing in ice. 

"Hi." I saw him motion to the bartender, pushing his hair back. He had dark brown hair that had been shorter the last time I'd seen him. The song changed and everyone on the dance floor cheered. I knew Isabel was definitely not going to be making her way to me anytime soon. 

Cody cleared his throat after he ordered, drumming his hands against the counter. "Didn't think I'd see you anytime soon." A beat of silence passed. "You know, after what happened last time"-

"It's ok. It was....I was, well, we were drunk. Right?"I swallowed the last of my vodka and cranberry. The sweetness dissolved into a tart taste that made my tongue run against my teeth. 

Cody looked at me. "Right, except to be honest with you, I wasn't that drunk." 

I felt warm. "Oh. Right. Listen, I don't want to make a big deal out of it. It was a kiss, and that's it. Right?"

Cody nodded, his smile tight. "Right. If you kiss like that drunk then I can't imagine what you do when you're sober." I didn't know what to say. He closed his eyes. "Sorry, I never removed the foot out of my mouth. I just meant, you were a good kisser, and well, I'm going to shut up now." He took another sip of his drink, his slender fingers grasping the glass. He ran a hand through his hair. It was a darker brown than Van's, but if I was drunk...I could pretend. 

No. I was going to be good. I watched the bartender pick up my glass. "Thank you."

"Get her a refill," Cody spoke after me. He flashed me a grin. "My treat."

"I shouldn't," A very obnoxious song came on that I didn't like. I pressed my lips together, feeling the bass melt into my body. "You know what, maybe one last drink won't hurt."

I grabbed the newly refilled drink and took two large sips. My body continuously warmed, I leaned into Cody. He could look like Van. I closed my eyes and thought of Van curled up on my bed, his fingers kneading into my skin while his mouth ran against my neck. Wait. 

But Cody leaned back into me, and the warmth of his body almost felt the same. I could pretend I was back in that bed with Van like it was nothing. "You're not drunk, are you?" Cody's voice vibrated into my skin. 

"No," I whispered into his ear. He smelled like mint, a contrasting smell to Van, but I could keep pretending. 

"Lucia," Isabel wrapped a hand around my shoulder. "Cody. I see you two are hanging out again. Why don't you come dance?" I wasn't sure who she was talking to.