All Mine

One week later:

Lucia:

And now I've got to

Make a choice or two

Thought I told you to 

Get away from me

I heard Van's raspy singing float out from our bedroom. Noah was asleep so I quickly moved to get out and shut the door before Van's voice came in and woke him. 

Van set his guitar down the minute I walked into the bedroom. He crossed his arms and rubbed his mouth while he watched me pick clothes out from our shared closet. "Are you done packing?" I faced the clothes while I spoke, reaching to take my shirt off. 

"Lucia, you know me. Of course not. I haven't even started." The bed creaked when Van stood up. "I'm not going to take a lot anyway, just like three changes. I'll just buy some clothes over there. Or wear the same pair of underwear for a week. I have experience with that ya know."

I turned to look at him, laughing. "You are so gross. Don't do that."

"I mean, I washed it obviously. Hotel soap is surprisingly efficient as a detergent."

"This is more than I've ever wanted to know. Please." I faked disgust while Van walked over to his side of the closet. 

"I don't wanna pack much anyway, I'll be back before you know it."

I felt a rock land in my stomach. "That's what you always say." I finished changing, grabbing my laptop from the bedside table. "I'll be back in an hour, ok? Don't wake Noah up just because you get bored."

"That happened one time and you'll never get over it. K be back as fast as you can so we can watch a film or whatever." 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't help but think of Van as I drove back to the apartment. He was probably so out of his zone, all he did was take care of Noah and wait for me to come home. I knew he missed being more in the music element, and though it pained me to think about it, going back to London and to his music for a week or two would do him good. Tomorrow we were going to go see some band that had reached out to Van way back when. They were doing a few shows in the States, and the lead singer had asked Van if he'd come to see them. 

Van had mentioned they were going to sign to Catfish's current label or something like that. I got to our apartment and found Van leaning against the window in our living room, whispering to Noah, who was fussing slightly in his arms. 

I took my jacket off as I settled in, walking quietly and standing on my tiptoes to see Noah. His eyes were half-closed, and I breathed in Van's cologne while resting my chin on his shoulder. "Hold on." He stepped away from me and walked toward the hall. When Van came back a few minutes later, he was putting on a sweater. "I'm freezin'." 

"Ok, dad." I ran a hand against his arm. "Did you wake him?"

"How was everything? And no, for your information Noah woke up by himself and demanded to spend time with me, so..."

"Everything was good. What'd you guys do?"

"Eat. Poop. Watch television." Van settled onto our couch, pulling his knees up and grabbing the remote. I studied him for a moment. "Do I have something on my face?" Van rubbed his cheek. "Why are you looking at me like that?" 

I rolled my eyes. "I can't look at my boyfriend anymore?" 

"Apparently not." Van grinned as he set the remote down. He held an arm up around the space next to him and I walked over and settled in. "I've been thinking that..." Van sniffed loudly and cleared his throat. His jaw was hard which meant he was grinding his teeth which meant he was nervous.