Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

"Eight thousand dead," stated Carter after breakfast as me made our way out of the dining hall.

Breakfast had been tough. Everyone was either speaking about the eight thousand dead kids, or the two people who managed to get out of their room under three minutes. One girl with short black hair ended up telling everyone what happened in building A, when she was walking around the corridors in the morning, every door was either laying in or out of the bedrooms loitering the hallways.

Immediately heads turned towards me and Carter and I made sure to keep my head down trying to not gain too much attention.

It wasn't like they were trying to hide it either. Maybe it was the way they talked, or maybe the way they looked in our direction throughout the whole entire breakfast, or really they perked up at the sound of my fork hitting my plate, or the way they looked up when Carter whispered something to me about some random topic.

"I know," I replied looking down.

I couldn't help but feel slightly guilty that I managed to open and help everyone in our building yet not help the others. But as soon as I thought that I felt ridiculous. I saved lives last nigh no doubt. I'm not some superhero, I can't help everyone.

I kept on reminding myself that.

We walked down the marble steps that I instantly admired, the sun above now almost directly above us but on a slight angle.

Others around us parted way like the Red Sea as they made their way to the facilities on the left, and behind the hall which covered a lot of ground.

Carter and I turned left following the pathway in unison until the path turned at a corner. As we turned, instantly there was a sign above which directed us to exactly where everything is.

As I read the green sign, the inscription white and your common Ariel font was written on there.

Weight Rooms, Gym Hall, Obstacle's Bizarre, Swimming Pool, Gym, Fighting Arena, Weapons and Training Hall, Library, Workshop Classes, Survival 101, and ITFA (Intelligence Training For All).

Eleven options, eleven places.

They weren't bad and were obviously placed for our benefit. I knew for sure that I was going to attend to each one of them at least once. A few I knew I would go to more than once for sure.

Each of these were put into sections and there were arrows pointing as to where they were roughly located.

From beside me Carter let out a low whistle, clearly impressed with what options we had. And I was more then ever agreeing with him.

"Wow," he simply said and I let out a loud laugh at his choice of words.

He sounded like a preteen girl walking into a Gucci or Prada sale.

"Yeah," I let out breathily.

A wind began to pick up, despite the hot aura we had around us. The hot blazing sun didn't help the wind calm down, but it was as much as a cold wind than a hot breeze. I pulled at my white chest, navy blue sleeved shirt tighter to my body before crossing my arms over my chest trying to stay slightly warmer.

My legs were slightly cold as the wind picked up and let off constantly because of the denim shorts I had chucked on. They were my favourite pair.

My hair was tied up in a high pony tail and kept whipping to the left as the wind blew from the right harshly, the sounds of whistling in the air as the trees waved from the front of the main hall. The faint sound of the fountain next to the flower beds in the centre of the circled drive way was heard as the water trickled loudly in the quiet air despite the harsh wind.