Moving In

Trigger warning: Mention of drug overdose, mention of suicide attempt, mention of eating disorder.

Anyway, here's chapter 2! Hope you guys enjoy:) xoxo, Brooke

_____________________________

“James? Baby, wake up. We’re here."

I guess this is the start of the senior year from hell, right? Although I realized that it was ‘for my own good’ , as Mom said this morning as I was getting dressed, I was still pissed. Senior year was suppose to be full of college applications and senior prom and going to awesome parties, NOT living in the pediatric ward.  Then again, it seems like I never get my way anymore.

As I opened my eyes, I instantly felt dread. Not good.

“Come on.” Mom helped me from the vehicle, as if I didn’t have the legs to do it myself. Then she locked the car and we headed toward the entrance, and I ignored the stares from bystanders. The cancer had taken a pretty rough toll on my appearance, I guess. I use to be, maybe, 175 pounds. Now I was  around 150, possibly less. 

“What? Never seen a sick person before?” I mumbled as I followed Mom into the elevator. 

“Wait for me!” 

Mom quickly stopped the elevator doors from closing, allowing a pretty young blonde to enter. She didn’t look sick, so my first assumption was that she was visiting someone. Plus, she was a little too perky to have anything physically wrong with her. All the sick people I’d met seemed like they’d rather be left alone or at least they preferred to remain in bed.

“Are you visiting someone?” Mom asked politely.

“Yeah, my boyfriend.” The girl answered with a smile. Her grin faded a little then and she sighed. “He has cancer. Osteosarcoma.”

I started to speak up, until she beat me to it. 

“I’m McKinley, by the way.” She held out her hand, allowing me to shake it awkwardly. I could tell by her sudden quiet that she didn’t know what else to say to me. The rest of the ride up to the fourth floor was like this, no one saying a single word, and once we finally did arrive there, we left the elevator in silence

“McKinley! Logan’s in his room.” One of the nurses said.

“Thanks!” McKinley waved at her before heading through the double doors of the pediatrics ward. I, on the other hand, followed Mom to the nurses station, where she informed them of my arrival. While she spoke to the nurse behind the desk, I decided to take this time to get a good look at my new “home.” It was pretty quite, I guess. Plenty of cheerful colors. Even most of the patients seemed fairly contented with their lives here.

“Hey, you’re here!” Dr. Rivers greeted us, placing a hand on my shoulder. “I guess Victoria will get you checked in.”

“Dr. Rivers, Jade’s refusing to eat her lunch again.” Dr. Rivers let out a sigh, scribbling something on her clipboard and giving us an apologetic look before following the nurse to one of the patient rooms. Wow. I couldn’t help but wonder what was going on with this “Jade.” I felt like I shouldn’t be trying to figure out someone else’s business, but my curiosity always seemed to get the best of me.

“I’m going to ask that you fill out this paperwork and I will ask someone to take James to his room.” Victoria told Mom,  motioning to a male nurse that was talking to a blonde haired kid with some....surprisingly bushy eyebrows.

“Dude, are we kidding m--” The blonde said as the nurse left him and walked over to me.

“Jeff, could you take James to room 208?” Victoria asked.