Close To The Edge

Well, I hope you guys like this chapter! In this one, you'll see that most of James' relationships are pretty strained at this point, but let's hope we'll see him make things right soon! xoxoxo, Brooke

_____________________________________________________________________________

JAMES’ POV

“Chris, you need to take him back to the hospital. Look at him!”

Who was she to tell me what to do? I glared at the door while Kimberly had the nerve to tell my dad what he should do with his son. I wasn’t even feeling that sick. It was really just fatigue bothering me, but other than that, I was perfectly well and did not need a stranger trying to say what I should do.

“K, I don’t know what to do. I mean, his friend is on their deathbed and he’s really upset, and I just...Look, this may be my only chance to make things right with my son....”

I sat quietly on the bed, comfortably dressed in my dad’s sweatpants and Superman tee shirt. My frail hands gripped the edge of the bed, my fingers turning a whitish tint. My breathing was soft, my hands shaking, and hearing my stepmom trying to convince my dad to take me back to the hospital? Well, it wasn’t helping.

I knew I’d have to go back eventually, but he told me that I could stay here for a few hours.

“Chris--”

“Just for a little bit?”

“Alright, fine! He can stay for five hours and then he needs to go back to the hospital.” I rolled my eyes at Kimberly’s firm tone, as if she really had the right to act like my mother, determining what was best for me. She wasn’t even my real mom, for God’s sake. She had absolutely no say here.

“Thank you.” I knew he probably gave her a kiss, which made me cringe. It seemed like he had truly given up alcohol for good and was a changed man, but I still felt the need to be extra careful. With someone with a past like his, I knew I couldn’t be overly trusting.

“James?”

I looked up then, my eyes narrowed. I hated the way he tried to act so goody-goody with me, after all he had put me and my mom through. I came here for a getaway, not to repair my nonexistent relationship with him. If he thought otherwise, he was crazy.

“Bud, maybe you should lie down.”

“I don’t need to ‘lie down’.” I answered, walking to the door. I didn’t get very far before I felt his hand on my shoulder, making me a thousand times more uncomfortable than I already was. He was right, though. I did need to lay down. As soon as I reached the door, I found myself leaning against doorframe, my eyes shut.

“Please, just..just lay down for a little bit.” This time, I allowed him to guide me back over to the bed, where I laid down and pulled the covers over my tired body. I turned onto my side so my back was facing him, keeping my eyes shut. I couldn’t stop doubting his intentions, not after everything he’d done to me and my mom.

“Just rest, okay?” He let his hand touch my shoulder before disappearing from my sight. 

Good. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

MRS. DIAMOND’S POV

“Carlos, you need to wake up. P-please.”

My heart nearly shattered at the despair in Sylvia’s voice as she pleaded for her son to awaken. I couldn’t ever imagine seeing James in that position. Of course, I had my own concerns, such as where the hell my son was located. We have spent at least three hours searching for him, calling him, texting him, but no response. My only other thought would be to call...wait a minute...Wait a minute! Chris! That was the only person I could think of.