I Believe In You

Trigger warning: Mentions of eating disorder

Well, here's the new chapter! xoxoxo, Brooke

_____________________________________________________________________________

They brought a new girl in today, exactly one week after I’d been admitted. Rumor has it that she was assaulted and now she was in a coma. No one knew the whole story, though. We asked Dr. Rivers and she said something about confidentiality. We did learn that the girl’s name was Stephanie King, though. Funny, it kind of reminded me of Stephen King. I wondered if she was a fan of horror novels.

I had been feeling a little better since my last chemo session. The fact that I had another one in two weeks wasn’t very thrilling, but at least I got a break in between.

“She looks like shit.”

“Is it really necessary to say that?” I looked at Kendall, who seemed to have a thing for stating the obvious. What he said wasn’t exactly a lie.  Stephanie’s face was horribly bruised, a few cuts littered each arm, and her eyes were closed, the left one being a bit swollen. I wished I knew what had happened to her.

“Come on, she looks awful.” Kendall whispered, looking at Stephanie’s face.

“You guys need to go somewhere else.” Dr. Rivers sighed, ushering us out of the room. For a minute, we stared at the now closed door, but finally gave up and walked to the lounge. It was a place in the pediatric ward where most of the older kids preferred to hang out. There were games, magazines, all the stuff that people our age like. I didn’t spend much time here, though.

“Stephanie is actually really pretty, though. She’s been through a lot, but I mean, she seems like she’s probably cute without all the bruising and stuff.” Carlos said as he and some other patients played a game of Go Fish. “Um, Jade, do you have....a five?”

“Go fish.” 

Carlos drew a card from the pile. If he thought she was pretty now, I wondered how he would feel once she woke up. He seemed to have a knack for pointing out attractive girls. I was pretty good with the ladies myself, but I wasn’t as open about it. I was the guy that kept quiet in class and occasionally shared a smile with the cute girl across the room, but I just didn’t walk up and start hitting on her.

“Anyway, didn’t your therapist suggest avoiding romantic relationships for a while? Before you came here, you couldn’t stand being single and now she wants you to learn how to be happy without being in a relationship.” Logan was rambling now until Carlos finally shot him a dirty look. Apparently dating was a sore subject for the kid. I wondered what happened that made him this way.

That is not important right now, Logan.” 

“Okay, fine.” Logan said, looking a little hurt by Carlos’s harsh tone. 

“You losers wanna do something fun for once?” Kendall asked, sitting between Jo and Logan. I’d been noticing how he seemed to almost gravitate toward Jo. He always found an excuse to be near her, but I knew damn well that he was too stubborn to admit to such a thing, and I sure wasn’t about to interrogate him.

“Like what?” Jo giggled.

“Well...” He said nonchalantly.  “We could...oh! We could go to classrooms and find something....sort of fun to do.”

“What is fun inside a classroom?” Lucy said flatly.

“Lots of things.”

“Logan, we all know that--”