Testing, 123

This chapter isn't super eventful, just James getting his tests done and stuff, but the next chapter is really exciting :D Also, no journal entry at the end of this chapter :) xoxoxo, Brooke

_____________________________________________________________________________

JAMES’ POV

Today was THE day. I would get a few tests done to see if there was any damage done from the chemo and another test to see if I was in remission. The remission one would get results back in another week. I wasn’t too worried, though. I was feeling good and I was positive that I wouldn’t have to put up with this much longer. Yeah, there were always chances that the cancer wasn’t gone, but I didn’t really want to think about it.

Oh, and I was going home today.

“You nervous?” Jade asked, giving my hand a squeeze.

“No, I’m good.” I smiled, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. This time, I wasn’t lying. Of course I was concerned about other things, like the fact that Carlos currently wasn’t speaking to anyone. I even called his mom earlier and she said that he only left his room for meal times. I was probably going to pay him a visit eventually and try to get him out of this depression. He needed to realize that nothing was going to change if he didn’t even try.

“Well, good.” Jade grinned. “Because you’re finally coming home.”

She kissed me, while I looked around the lobby. Then my eyes went to her stomach, which was continuing to grow. She was 25 weeks pregnant and it seemed like this had all gone by incredibly fast. She had that pregnancy glow and even after that conversation with Carlos at her birthday party, she seemed cheerful, although she always changed the subject when someone mentioned his name.

“James?”

“Hey, Dr. Gordon.” I waved.

“We’re going to start those tests now, okay?” He said, motioning for me to follow. I took a deep breath as I stood up, giving Jade a kiss on her forehead before following him down the hallway. As we walked in silence, I reminisced on the past year. It had been a rough year, a scary year, but at the same time, I actually had some fairly good memories from my time in this place, like meeting my friends and marrying Jade.

“We’re going to be checking  your heart, lungs, liver, veins, and things like that.” Dr. Gordon explained as he led me into a room where they ran tests. I sat in a chair, cringing at the sight of all those needles. I wasn’t scared of those things, I’d seen too many of them to be scared anymore, but that did not mean I loved seeing them. Hopefully I would never have to see another needle for a really long time.

“And the big one. The one that will tell if your cancer has gone into remission.” He gave me a half smile. “Exciting, right?”

“Yeah.” I nodded. “Really exciting.”

He began taking my blood. I closed my eyes and a tiny whimper escaped my lips as the needle was inserted. Ugh, I hoped this would go by real fast. 

“Alright, that’s done!” Doctor Gordon exclaimed. “Now we’re going to check your lungs.” 

I was led to another room with different machines. I was asked to stand in various positions as he took the x-rays and I did not enjoy it, but nevertheless, I sucked it up and let him do his job. After the x-ray, I had an ultrasound of my heart done, as well as a Cat scan and MRI.  After about two hours, it was finally over.

“Ah, the spinal tap.” Doctor Gordon said as I laid on a table, on my stomach. “It’s a bit painful, but your wife offered to be here with you.”