Wake Up

This chapter still has some serious moments, but it's not quite as sad as the others. There are some positive moments too! xoxoxo, Brooke

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Carlos’ POV

Beep....beep....beep....beep....

What...what had happened? The world was a blur as I felt my eyes begin to flutter open. I was hardly aware of anything around me except for the weird beeping beside me. I blinked, confused as to why I wasn’t in my room.  I vaguely remembered seeing a flipped car and blood, but not much else. Really, what had happened?

I squeezed my eyes shut before reopening them, trying to regain my focus. Okay, machines, white walls, unfamiliar surroundings...Yes, I was in the ICU. But why? 

“Hmmm...” Hey, I had casts on my arm and leg. The hell? What day was it? What time was it? Honestly, why was I here? I was becoming more anxious by the minute. Oh my god, I couldn’t breathe. No one was here and I was panicking and...now the machine had been set off. It must have been a heart monitor.

Before I knew it, a nurse had rushed in, calling for a doctor. I didn’t want her. I wanted my parents and my friends. Everything was a huge blur, but I knew I would recognize their faces. I needed them more than anything right now. Why couldn’t they be here instead of this total stranger? I’d even be okay with Dr. Rivers stopping by.

“Carlos? Honey, do you know where you are?” Whose voice was that? I didn’t understand...”Blink once for no, twice for yes.”

Two blinks.

“You were in a car accident on New Years, four days ago...”

Four days? I’d been unconscious for four days? I didn’t even understand how the accident had happened. All I remembered was this pickup truck. I think it had been silver. I wasn’t too sure. All I knew was that I was completely, totally, 100% freaked out. My heart was slowing down, but the nerves weren’t gone. Far from it, in fact.

“Hi, Carlos...I’m Doctor Levins. I’m just gonna check up on you, okay?”

I blinked twice, staring at him, dazed. I barely was aware of my surroundings, so how did this guy expect me to deal with a checkup right now? Well, I wasn’t exactly mobile, so I had no choice. I just laid there, obeying his orders, blinking to answer his many questions, occasionally drifting off until he brought me back to reality.

“Carlos, I’m just gonna let your parents know that you’re awake, but first, here’s a glass of water. Hopefully, it’ll help your throat so you can talk to us.” Dr.Levins told me before disappearing from the room. I blinked again, waiting for him bring Mom and Dad in. I needed to see a familiar face.

“Yes, he is very much awake!”

“Oh, thank goodness!” 

Mom?

“Carlos? Son, it’s us. Mom and Dad...”

I groaned, reopening my eyes again. I took another sip of the water, staring at them. Mom had lightly stained cheeks, so I knew she had been crying. I wanted to tell her it was okay, but somehow, I just couldn’t find the words to stay. Plus, I was thinking about my friends too, especially Kendall, James, and Logan. While in the coma, I could still hear a lot and I’d vaguely heard them talking about James running off. I didn’t understand what they had meant at the time, but now that I was awake, I could ask.