Keep Fighting

This chapter starts out really sad, but it has some uplifting moments as well. Hope you enjoy! xoxoxo, Brooke

__________________________________________________________________________________________

JADE’S POV 

So today was the day. I was finally being released from the hospital. I had my bags packed, I was in the lobby, Aunt Jess was signing my dismissal papers, and I was somewhat ready to go. I just needed to say goodbye to James and then assure him that we would see each other again in four more days. I knew he wasn’t thrilled about me leaving, but I just had to make him understand. I hadn’t wanted to leave either, but I was beginning to accept it now.

“I’m gonna call you, okay?” I sat beside him in the waiting area, taking his hand in mine.  He nodded, but remained silent. I felt so bad, to be honest. I wished that there was a way I could make him feel better, but what could I do? I just kissed him on the cheek, feeling a tiny hint of relief when he kissed the back of my hand. At least I knew he still cared about me.

“And try to get along with Logan.” I told him. I knew the two had been fighting a lot, which I hated. They were suppose to be best friends. It had been almost a week since the accident that left Carlos in the ICU and James had run off, and Logan seemed to be having a hard time forgiving him for that. I already had forgiven him.

“Hey, I want you to go to my room and look for a plain paper bag on the floor. I have something for you.” He told me, giving me a short kiss.

“Um, okay.” I blushed, waving to Aunt Jess before hurrying back to the elevator. I was smiling more than I had in a really long time, especially knowing that James wasn’t upset with me. I hoped that our date on Saturday would allow us to bond. It was hard to do a lot of bonding inside a hospital.

As I entered James’ room, I began my search for the mysterious paper bag. It was somewhere on the floor. Thank God Logan was down in the ICU with Carlos. I, for one, wanted some privacy and I also didn’t want to hear him complain about James. He’d been making a lot of snarky comments lately and I didn’t appreciate it at all.

Paper bag, paper bag, paper bag...AHA!

“There you are.” I whispered, picking the bag up. I sat down on James’ bed, reaching inside. It was a...Dragon Fly necklace. It was also sapphire, very beautiful.

“Wow...” I murmured, touching the dragon fly charm on a chain. I had seen these at the gift shop, but had never thought to actually get myself one. I walked over to the mirror and put the necklace on, making sure it was hooked real tight before admiring it closely. A special gift from a really special guy....

“Hey, what’s that?” I wondered to myself as I noticed something peeking from underneath his pillow. I probably shouldn’t invade his privacy, but it was so tempting. Besides, who said James had to know I looked?

I furrowed my eyebrows, inching towards the bed. 

I reached out and picked up the stapled and folded sheets of paper, unfolding it. It was...a letter. A....a goodbye letter. What even--

“Dear Family and Friends, when you read this, it means that I’m gone.” Tears began to fill my eyes. No, no, no, no, no, no, NO. Somehow, though, I kept reading, and reading, and reading. I wanted to tear it to shreds, but I couldn’t pull my eyes away long enough to do it. Why had James written this?

“I love you, Jade. Never forget it no matter what happens.” I choked out, letting the paper fall from my hands. I felt my heart shatter into a billion pieces. How could James ever write something like that? Did he think he was going to die?