Halloween part 1

Here's the Halloween party! It gets a little angsty towards the middle and end. Also, you'll notice that there is not a James diary entry in this chapter, but there's a reason for that and you'll see why once you've read the chapter. The next chapter, a continuation of this one, WILL have an entry at the end, though :) xoxoxo, Brooke

_____________________________________________________________________________

On Halloween, at 6:30 pm, I was still feeling pretty rough after a chemo session just two days before, but since my dosage had been temporarily lowered, I was hoping I wouldn't feel as bad I as normally did after a session.

 I was dressed in my old jeans, white tee shirt, leather boots, and leather biker jacket, with my new “hair” placed on my head. Now I was just hoping that Jade would come over soon, so I could finally know what she was wearing.

“Not bad.” Carlos was dressed up as Frankenstein and Stephanie was wearing a zombie bride costume. It was quite a strange pairing, but they looked cute together. Stephanie still had to use her cane, but she was beginning to get around more and more on her own. She had been doing physical therapy for several weeks.

“Is Jade out there?” I peeked behind me into the hallway. I didn’t see Jade, but I would just assume she was still getting ready. That is, until the clock hit 8:00 and she was still nowhere to be found. Then I would be pretty concerned. 

“She’s in the lounge with Jo and Camille.” Carlos insisted, grabbing my wrist and  pulling me into the Halloween decorated hallway. We kept walking until we arrived in the lounge. That was when I got my first glimpse of my date. She was dressed as an edgier version of Dorothy from Wizard of Oz. She had the same blue and white checkered dress, but she had added a black leather jacket and sparkly red boots, and her hair was now colored bright pink, worn in loose curls.

I was beginning to worry about the hair thing. I didn’t want her to damage it with the excessive coloring.

Nevertheless, I couldn’t complain about the costume.  

Taking a deep breath, I approached her from behind, tapping her shoulder. “Ready to get our party on?”

“Promise you’ll behave yourself?” She pointed a finger at me.

I chuckled. “Surrrreee.”

With a roll of her eyes, she took my hand and the rest of the group followed, heading towards the elevator. We all crowded inside and we made our way up to the roof, where the party had begun thirty minutes earlier. I didn’t know why I was suddenly fidgeting beside Jade, finding it a bit hard to even take in a breath, and having to clear my throat every few seconds. I didn’t usually have social anxiety.

“Nervous much?” Jade lightly nudged me.

“No! Not at all!” I lied, coughing into my hand. I felt her rub my back and then the elevator doors opened, and we all walked out to the party. A bunch of people were already here, even ones that weren’t patients at the hospital. I was assuming that those people were likely friends and family of the patients.

The snack table was a regular table covered with a black cloth,  some orange artificial flowers, and some fake spider webs and spiders. I knew I wouldn’t be going over there at all tonight, which sucked because the chips and salsa did look quite appetizing. I just realized that if I tried to eat, it would just come right back up. Story of my life.

“Hey, you wanna just go sit down for a bit?”

“You okay?” Jade asked as we approached orange cloth covered table.