Can't Run Away From Your Problems

Another pretty dramatic chapter! We find out Carlos' current condition and James reacts in a very irresponsibile way o.O xoxoxo, Brooke

_____________________________________________________________________________

James’ POV

Time was moving at an unbearably slow pace. Every single one of our friends was sitting in the waiting room now, waiting for news about Carlos. I could hear his poor mother crying in her husband’s arms and everyone whispering around them, but I was avoiding the group by remaining in the hallway with my headphones, my glasses, and my hoodie covering my head. I should have gone back to my room, but I would be damned if I left the ER without a single assurance about his health and wellbeing.

It was a drunk driver that caused the crash. Incidents such as this were the biggest cause of why I hated alcohol. It started out innocent and then it ended in disaster, such as tonight.  If I ever saw the driver of that other vehicle, I would probably kill him. He could have killed Carlos and I hated him for that.

“Carlos Garcia, 17 years old, suffering from a fractured leg, a fractured arm, heavy bruising, and possible brain damage.”

My head snapped upward and I removed my headphones, watching the doctor talking to one of the nurses. What did they mean by ‘brain damage’? In that moment, I prayed to God that it was nothing severe and that Carlos would recover. Carlos was the last person to deserve such a horrific fate as this.

I tried to stand up, but my aching muscles were just too much. I collapsed back onto the tile floor, shivering. 

“Maybe you should go back to your room and lay down? You don’t look so great.”

Jo was standing there now, her arms folded over her chest.

“Nice to know that I look horrible.” I chuckled, although I knew she was right. I seemed to look more pale lately and I had lost quite a bit of weight due to not eating much. I could barely keep my eyes open sometimes because I was always so exhausted. Not a fun way to live, but I dealt with it.

“You know what I mean.” She said down, lightly nudging me. She sighed, turning her head towards me. “Really, how are you?”

“Um...” What was I suppose to tell her? That I was doing good? Because I’d be a liar if I said that. At the same time, I kind of felt tempted to lie to protect myself from unwanted sympathy. It seemed like I got a lot of that lately, whether I wanted the extra attention or not. Finally, I decided to just tell her the truth. “Honestly? Not great.”

“I don’t think any of us are doing too great right now.” Jo admitted, looking around the busy ER. I shook my head, burying my head in my knees. We were all dying for news on Carlos, but we hadn’t heard a single word. I was dying from anticipation and anxiety, desperate to be told that Carlos was okay. 

“Yeah...” I bit the inside of my cheek, lifting my head. “I just....I’m scared for him. What if h-he’s really hurt?”

“He might be, but I mean, he’ll be fine. He’s a strong guy.” 

I knew that, but there was still that doubt in my mind. I got this feeling that something would be go wrong and that Carlos wouldn’t make it through this. He made it through his suicide attempt, though. So why couldn’t he survive a car accident? He deserved to live and go on to do great things in life. He also deserved to have a great senior year of high school.

“I want to believe that...” I whispered. “But I don’t...I don’t know. So much crap has happened to all of us and it never seems to get any better, and I just...I wish it would stop. I wish we could just...get a break for once. Just one break.”