No Mistakes

Yay, I finally completed this chapter! I'm quite happy with the result and I hope you guys enjoy it:) I couldn't update last weekend because I was on a vacation. Also, I'll be updating Runaway next :) xoxoxo, Brooke

PS: Anyone else get Heffron Drive's new album, Happy Mistakes? Because I got it on iTunes and asdfghjkl I love it :) My favorite track is either One Track Mind or Parallel:)

 ________________________________________________________________________________

JAMES’ POV

“Honey, maybe you should just lay down for a while.”

“Why do I need to lay down?” I grumbled as I made the bed. “I took a nap earlier.”

Jade was coming home today and I really wanted the house to be nice and organized for her return. The funny thing was that I’d never really been all that concerned with organization. I’d keep things decent, but never had I’d ever been a clean freak. I was slowly changing for my wife and kids, though. Things were different now. I was different.

“But you’ve been on your feet all morning--”

“Mom, seriously, I’m fine!” I glanced at her worried face and felt guilty for snapping, but I was pretty sure I woke up this morning on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Too dramatic? Eh, I just couldn’t help it. I spent pretty much the whole night worrying about Tristan and Avery. They were going to be in the hospital for five weeks while Jade and I got to be here at home. I knew it was for their benefit, but somehow it didn’t seem right.

I mean, every other parent would normally bring their child home with them.

“Baby, it’s okay to talk if something’s bothering you.” Mom stood up and put her hands on my shoulders. “It’s been a rough few days.”

“I don’t have anything to talk about.” I insisted, carrying another stack of folded shirts and putting them in the dresser. All I needed was to be left alone to get things ready for Jade’s homecoming. A little housework wouldn’t kill me.

“HONEY, I’M HOOOOOMMMMEEEEE!”

Mom sighed. “And that is not Jade.”

“KENDALL?!” I called out.

“YOU GUESSED IT! NOW COME DOWNSTAIRS SO I CAN SHOW YOU SOMETHING!”

“I’ll be right back.” I grumbled before leaving the bedroom. Kendall, of course, was waiting at the bottom of the staircase, holding...a kitten? Okay, why was he holding a cat? I mean, I love cats, always have and always will, but I wasn’t sure if this was...you know, the right time to bring another pet into the picture. We already had Fox and now we had Tristan and Avery to think about.

“Uh....” I slowly inched down the stairs. “Dude?”

“I know, it seems crazy, but Carlos and I were at the pet store and we found this little guy, and we thought he’d be perfect for you guys.” He placed the Calico kitten in my arms, just as Carlos came walking in from the kitchen. I was still confused by the kitten thing, but as I looked at the little creature’s face, I could already feel myself growing attached. Oh, the way he (or she?) was snuggled into my arms....

“Come on, you know you want her.” Carlos nudged me, and I sighed.

“Okay, yeah, I’ll take her.” I finally gave in, stroking the kitten’s head. She was so cute and I knew for a fact that Jade was a cat lover. Plus, we only needed to keep the kitten away from the babies. As long as we did that, everything would be fine! Yeah....