Chapter 4 { back and better }

Nyla Jones
June 26th,1994
Los Angelos,California

"So you're basically telling me that you and DeVante Swing used to be in a relationship?" Melanie asks me while eating a Pringle.

"Yup. 2 years." I say chewing a sour patch kid in my mouth.

"Unbelievable." She says shaking her head.

"What?" I ask taking a sip of my sprite as we sit down on the floor of our hotel room.

"I mean if I had a man like DeVante... I'll never let him go." She says and I roll my eyes.

"Well we broke up because life had different plans for us." I say and she nods.

"Interesting..." She trails off and I mentally roll my eyes. Moments like these make me miss Shiann.

"He gave me his number today." I say taking out the paper from my jacket pocket jeans.

"Then call him! What the fuck." She says and I chuckle a bit as I grab the hotel phone.

I was nervous while typing the numbers in the keypad. My hands was shaking crazily and Melanie was looking at me like I was dumb.

"Stop shaking like that!" She says nudging me.

I dial the number and I put the phone up to my ears. I listen to the phone ring and I hear shuffling and other shit. Finally, a voice was heard.

"DeVante Swing from Jodeci? How may I help you?" De says into the phone and I kiss my teeth.

"Shut the fuck up, you aren't a spokesperson." I say and I can hear De smile.

"Hello to you too Nyla." He says and I notice Melanie smile at me.

"What you doing?" I ask him

"Chilling at home." He says and I nod a bit.

"Mmm home." I say starting to think about my home back in Brooklyn. I don't live there anymore, I actually live in Michigan but Brooklyn will always be my number one Home.

"You wanna come over?" He asks and I almost choked on my spit.

"Um...Uh... I- I actually can't. I'm chilling with my bestie. Kind of doing a girls night." I respond while looking at Melanie who is currently cutting her toenails.

"You and Shyannie still friends? Wow." De says and I roll my eyes at his foolishness.

"Her name is Shiann and no not Shiann... she lives in England. My bestie Melanie." I say and De laughs

"You replaced Shiann with a girl with a white ass name?" De says while laughing and I sigh.

"Melanie isn't a white na-"

"Then what is it? Cause it's definitely not a common black name and when it is... the baby doesn't have all its chromosomes." De says and I sit in complete shock because of his outtapocketness.

"You're disrespectful." I say

"Learned from the best." De says and I look at the phone confused.