Chapter 45 { REKINDLE }

Nyla DeGrate
December 3rd, 1997
Brooklyn, NY

I flew to New York for one thing and one thing only. To honestly understand who I am when it comes to me being apart of the Jones's family.

Finding out that my father wasn't really my father was honestly one of the most heartbreaking things ever. Forget about losing my brother for years... forget having a miscarriage... forget De hurting me. I thought this man was apart of creating me and to find out that he isn't struck me to the core.

I looked at the front door of my childhood home and I laughed to myself at all the memories shared. I rang the door bell once and it got no answer. I sighed and rang it again. No answer.

I decided to show up unannounced because I didn't want my father or my mother to have time to think about sugar coating anything. I want real emotions. Real shit.

I decided to ring the door bell one last time and see if anyone would show up. To my surprise it was my father.. or in this case... just a person.

"Nyla-Janae" He says and I can hear the sadness in his voice.

"Hey.." I say.. stepping inside the house.

I looked around and twisted my lips. Something wasn't right around here.

"Where's mom?" I ask while turning around to him as he locked the front door.

"Outside." He responds and I nod slowly.

I let out a silent sigh as I look down at my shoes.

"You're hungry? Thirsty?" He asks me and I look back up.

"Sparkling water would be nice." I respond and he tilts his head.

"NJ you know we don't live that fancy lifestyle." He responds and I scoff.

"Damn right. Y'all live a fake lifestyle." I mutter and I hear him sigh.

"Look... I always wanted to tell you. I just didn't want to see that look on your face.. the look I see right now." He says and I shake my head.

"The reason why I have this look is because you didn't tell me. You're acting like... you're acting like I was going to stop loving you as a father. You were here from the beginning.. would never let you go." I say slowly as my eyes begin to water.

"Grab a seat.. let me explain this entire thing to you." He says while pointing at the couch.

I sat down and he does the same.

"I used to sell drugs." He says and I turn my head with quickness.

"You?"

"Yeah.. used to be one of the best. Until I met your mother." He starts off and I turn all my attention to him.

"Your mother's side of the family is like the Brady bunch but black. Everyone went to college.. has a succcessful job.. you know the usual preppy shit." He says and I laugh.

"I met them." I respond.

"One day.. after I sold everything I needed to sell. We was posted on the block playing dice and your mother walked by with her little friends and god.. she was beautiful as ever. She still is beautiful. That's why I married her." He says and I chuckle.