Chapter 18 { girls }

DeVante Swing
September 29th,1994
Los Angelos,California

It's my birthday today and I'm feeling hyper than ever. I found out my girl was pregnant, Jodeci's 'Diary of a Mad Band' went gold, and my depression had went down lately. Ain't god good?

"Happy Birthday!" Nyla says walking up to me and giving me kisses all over cheeks.

"This is your 15th time telling me happy birthday." I say and she kisses her teeth.

"You're so ungrateful." She says walking off.

"Come here and give Daddy another kiss." I say and she looks at me annoyed. I don't know why she loves making this face, it's irritating.

"Stop looking at me like that

"Stop looking at me like that." I say

"Looking like what?" She says

"Looking at me like I'm disgusting to you." I say

"Maybe you are." She says

"You wasn't saying that when you were screaming my nam-"

"Shut up." She says cutting me off

"That's why you're pregnant, because of that damn attitude of yours." I say and her mouth falls agape.

"You can't put on a condo-"

"You can't take pills so we can't use birth control or take a plan b." I say and she sighs

"Fuck you." She says sticking up her middle finger and walking away.

"Witcho Fine ass! Lemme get a piece of that!" I yell after her as she disappears into the crowd. We rented out a club for the night to celebrate my birthday. This was all Dalvin and K-Ci's idea to do this shit knowing that I hate crowds and confrontation. I would've rather had a little get together with a baskin robbins cake and chilled with the family.

The place was just loud, packed, and stink. It doesn't even look like a party for me because K-Ci is having most of the fun. Half of the people I didn't even know. They were just there to be there.

I sat down at the VIP section and I shook my head watching the hoes shake their ass on Dalvin. If only T-Boz knew what his ass was doing. I took a large ass gulp of my Hennessy as I watched the interaction. Some random girl came into the section and I stare at her in confusion.

"Happy birthday DeVante." The girl says and I shake my head at her.

"Thanks." I say taking another sip of my alcohol.

"You seem alone, do you need company?" The girl asks me and I kiss my teeth. This girl is gonna let Nyla kill me.

"I have all the company I need shawty." I say and she laughs.

"Well my name is Kimberly, but call me Kim." She says sticking her hand out to me and I slap it away.

"I didn't ask for your name, and I don't care." I say and she looks at me hurt.

"Why are you so mean? I'm just trying to be friendly. You shouldn't be this grumpy on your birthday." She says sliding close to me.

"And you should mind your business." I say and she sighs.

"De, Ima need you to cal-"

"Are we friends?" I ask the girl and she shakes her head no.

"Then why are you calling me De like we are cool?" I ask her.

"I don't k-"

"Don't you got dick to suck?" I ask her and he puts her hand on her chest.

"Excuse me?" She asks

"I gotta say it in another language?" I ask her and she kisses her teeth.

"Why are you so disrespectful?" She asks me.

"Cause you aren't my girl. Fuck I gotta be nice to you for?" I ask her

I notice Nyla walk to our direction but she saw the girl and I talking and she stared at me.

The girl sits on my lap and I try to move her off but the spotlight goes to my direction as K-Ci starts to make a commotion

"It looks as if the birthday boy is getting his tops!" K-Ci yells and the whole room starts to clap.

Nyla and I make direct eye contact and she looks at me with an unreadable expression and walks off.

"Yo! Why the fuck you did that for?" I push the girl off of me.

"I didn't even do anything wrong!" The girl says

"I said I have a girl! Now you put our relationship in jeopardy!" I yell and she rolls her eyes.

"Maybe y'all relationship wasn't worth it." The girl says and I start to become really upset.

"You have some nerve! You not even... you know what, the devil is working today." I say walking away from the booth. It was hard finding someone that I knew because there was mad unfamiliar faces at a party that was meant to be celebrated for me.

"JoJo!" I say tapping him from behind. He turn around.

"Have you seen Nyla?" I ask

"Yes." He says

"Where did she go?" I ask

"I can't and I won't tell you." JoJo says turning around.

"Man, I'm not even gonna do this with you right now." I say

"Look, you did this to yourself." He says

"I never allowed her to sit on my lap! I swear." I say putting my hands up to my defense.

"She didn't tell me exactly where she went, but check the bathroom or something." He says pointing off and I nod my head.

Here we go, here the fuck we go.