Chapter 5 { drive }

DeVante Swing
June 27th,1994
Los Angelos, California

"Why you look like this." JoJo asks while commenting on my suit.

"I have a date." I say fixing my tie.

"This is 1990 prom all over again." JoJo says and I laugh.

"By the way... Nyla is going to be over at this house in a few. I had invited her over here so we can go together from here. I didn't feel like picking her up at her hotel." I say and K-Ci starts to laugh.

"What kind of bullshit is that?" K-Ci asks

"The bullshit you couldn't do with Mary." I say and Dalvin starts to chuckle.

"Damn." JoJo says taking his snacks and walking out the room.

"If y'all need me... I'm right here." JoJo yells.

"You finally reunited with Nyla and you don't know how to act? Pathetic ass nigga." K-Ci says and I bit my tongue.

"You still sniffing that crac-"

"Hey guys." Nyla says walking into the room with a casual outfit which made mine look dumb.

"Why aren't you wearing a dress? And how did you get inside?" I ask

"I don't fuck with dresses, I only wear it for certain occasions. And JoJo opened the door for me." She says and I scratch my head.

"You couldn't call me and tell me that you weren't gonna wear a dre-"

"Donald just go upstairs and put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants." She says and I cringe at her calling me Donald. It's been years since someone said it in that context.

Before I went upstairs, I look at her outfit one more time and I shake my head.

"Why you gotta be a tomboy?" I ask her and she shrugs her shoulders

"Same reason why you do music... because you love it." She says and I shake my head.

After 20mins of rummaging through clothes... I decided to wear a simple white T-shirt with grey sweatpants. I came downstairs and I see Dalvin and JoJo playing uno. And K-Ci and Nyla arguing.

"Nigga shut up and go sniff the crack that you allegedly used to sniff." Nyla says and I shake my head at her disrespectful behavior.

"Yo who are you talking to!" K-Ci asks standing up like he was gonna do something.

"What you gonna do? Beat me up like you used to do to Mary? Okay Ike Turner." Nyla says and Dalvin and JoJo turn around in shock.

"Damnnnnn." JoJo And Dalvin say in unison and I run over to Nyla before anything went down.

"Yo De I'm warning you! Come get your girl." K-Ci says yelling at me.

"Come get your gum! Your breath stinks." Nyla says throwing a gum pack at his head.

"Ima fuck her up bro! You better ge-"

"Touch me! I wish the fuck you wouldddd! My hands are bisexual! I beat bitches and niggas up! What happened?" Nyla says lounging at K-Ci

I pick up Nyla and carry her over my arms.

"Let me go! Let me the fuck go." Nyla squirms and I hold tight to her. I grab my car keys and I walk out the door. I reached my car and I opened the door for her to sit inside.

After we both entered, I locked the car door so she wouldn't try to run back in the house and kill K-Ci.

"What the fuck was that inside?" I ask her and she folds her arms and looks out the car window.

"Hello?" I wave my hands in front of her and she still respond.

"He talked about my dead grandmother." She says and I sit back in the car seat and shake my head.

"And why would h-"

"Bottomline is I'm done with him. He's dead to me. Did you piss him off before I came over? He's been hostile ever since I came through the door." She says and I can hear a crack in her voice.

"Yeah... I did." I say and she shakes her head.

"Can we drive now." She says and I look at her.

"Where you wanna go? It's 8:55pm." I say looking at the watch on my hand.

"The beach." She says and I look at her confused.

"The beach? Why would you wan-"

"Can we go? We can chill there and eat fast food." She says and I roll my eyes.

"You sure? You know Jason Vorhe-"

"Drive." She says and I do what I was told. I start the ignition and I drive off.

I turn on the radio and New edition started to play and I kissed my teeth.

"These basic ass niggas." I say and I notice Nyla look at me confused.

"Basic? They are the goats." Nyla says and I laugh.

"They are not the goats... if anything that Nigga Ronnie look like a Goat." I say and I notice Nyla take offense to that.

"Don't say that." She says and I stare at her.

"Why you care?" I ask and she giggles.

"Cause Ronnie my lil boo thang." She says and my hands grip the steering wheel and clench my teeth.

"What do you mean?" I say speeding up a little bit.

"I mean that I know Ronnie and we're really really good friends." She says and I don't know what took over me but I swerved the car and switched lanes.

"What the fuck! Are you trying to kill me Donald!" She yells while grabbing on to the handle.

"My bad." I say. I knew what the fuck I was doing.

"You needa chill I was just playing. Ronnie and I are just friends." She says and relief overpowers me.

"Good." I say and I pull over at a gas station.