Chapter 42 { Again? }

DeVante Swing
July 23rd, 1997
Los Angelos, California

I left Dajon and Nyla downstairs so they can rekindle their relationship. I was currently rewatching Jodeci Concerts on T.V. I was observing everything that was going on and I realized that I missed my boys. I missed everything that we built so hard.

All of a sudden, I heard screaming.

I got up from the bed and headed downstairs to see what the commotion was.

"How come you didn't tell me that I wasn't your daughter?" I hear Nyla scream into the phone.

Pause.

Nyla isn't Mr.Jones daughter?

Oh.... Okay?

"What's going on?" I mouth to Dajon and I see a wave of disappointment in his face.

"I- i trusted you.. I trusted you and mom. Nah, I can't even call y'all two my parents cause I don't even fucking know! Why did you keep this away from me? I deserved to know that he was my father! My father! You had me call you dad for my entire life only to find out that you're a goddamn stranger. Did you kidnap me?" Nyla says and I sigh in "oh shit".

I notice her hang up the phone.

"What's wrong?" I ask her and she lowly laughs.

"Dajon I am going to ask you to leave." She says and I notice DJ look at her confused.

"But Nyl-"

"LEAVE!" She yells and I notice her voice crack.

"I'm sorry DJ but you're gonna have to leave. I'll call you later bro." I say and he nods slowly before getting up.

He looks at me and then at Nyla.

"I love you little sis." He says and I sigh. He then walks out the door and leaves.

I sat down next to her and I look at her.

"What happened?" I ask.

"My father isn't my father. He kept this away from me.. for my entire life Donald. I don't even know who I really am. He couldn't even tell me any fucking thing! Does he not have any regard for my feelings?" She asks me and I shrug.

"Well you asking the wrong perso-"

"That's not the fucking point!" She screams and I digress.

"So what are you trying to say?" I ask and she looks down at her ring and she begins to play with it.

"Don't tell me.."

"The wedding is off De." She says and I look at her.

"What?"

"We can't have the wedding. Not with these people. I called these people my family... when they aren't." She says.

"Okay... but what this gotta do with me? With us? With this wedding?" I ask and she looks at me with disbelief.

"Are you serious right now? I just found out my dad isn't my dad and you wanna be fucking selfish?" She asks and I kiss my teeth.

"Do you know how much money I invested into this wedding?" I ask.

"You invested? We both invested! I did all the work around here. While you sit around moping about what Jodeci could have been. Being mad at the world for you wrong doings but baby! Be mad at your fucking self. You are selfish and you are terrible." She says and I raise my eyebrows.

"Well since you wanna talk your shit we can talk. You verbally abuse me. You judge everyone but when someone judges you... you can't even take it. You think you are so Prim and Proper when you have the most problems. You wanna judge me? I thought my family was bad but at least I know who my father is!" I say and I immediately regret it.

"Wow... so you wanna pull the 'at least I know how my father is' card huh?" She asks.

"I'm sorr-"

"You know when I said I was going to call off the wedding. You know I meant the reception. We could have went to town hall. You mean me no fucking good. You bring so much problems in my life! And this is another exa-"

"Then if I am all these bad things why are you marrying me!" I yell and she grows silent. I then observe her and she takes off the ring and puts it in front of me.

"I'm not." She says and my heart drops.

We were so close.

"You don't mean that. You are just mad." I say and she laughs.

"You know... I think I finally understand that we can never be together. We just aren't fit. In this game of love and pain.. pain seems to always win." She says and I sigh.

"Look, I know I said some things but I didn't mean-"

"Yes you did. You said it." She says and I sigh.

Damn son.