Chapter 12 { untitled }

DeVante Swing
August 30th,1994
Los Angelos,California

"Pretty brown eyes, you know I see you." Nyla sings as she's in the shower.

"It's a disguise the way you treat me." Nyla sings again and I sigh as her voice is interrupting my thinking process.

I walk into the hot steamy bathroom and I flip down the toilet seat and I sit down on it.

"Yo Nyla." I say and Nyla slides the bathroom curtain covering her body.

"What happened?" She says squinting at me as soap is all over her face.

"I need help." I say and she laughs

"You couldn't wait until after I came out the shower?" She asks sliding back the curtain

"Nah I couldn't." I say playing with the toilet paper.

"Can you pass me my toothbrush please?"Nyla asks and I do what I was told.

"Thank you." She says and she brushes her teeth.

"I think I'm losing myself." I say

"Why do you say that?" Nyla asks and she starts to hum.

"Things ain't been the same since I got pistol whipped and my skull slit in half." I say and Nyla turns off the water.

"That happened to you?" She asks sliding the shower curtain and coming out naked. She then grabs the towel and wraps it around her body. She sits down on the side of the tub and she looks at me with worry in her eyes.

"That happened, bit the nigga finger off though." I say and she looks at me still worried.

"Look baby, I'm so sorry that happened to y-"

"Don't apologize, ain't your fault." I say and she starts to rub my hands.

"What about you are you losing?" She asks me and I shrug my shoulders.

"My musical abilities... music ain't interesting to me anymore. I feel like I'm losing my friends because I isolated myself from people. And I feel like I'm losing you. We just got reunited and I don't feel like you love me the same as you used to do." I say and Nyla looks at me with worry in her eyes.

"I do love you, I always have and I always will. But the love is obviously going to be different. We haven't talked for 4 years. My love for you is deep but it ain't the same as when we were 16." She says and I bow my head.

"I get it." I say looking back at her

"Stop being so sad, when I put on my clothes... we gonna spend some time together. Order pizza, watch movies, argue over music. Just me and you." She says smiling at me.

"Just me and you." I say giving her a weak smile.

"Gimme a kiss Donnie." She says playing with my cheeks.

"Wait since when you call me Donnie?" I ask and she laughs

"Since now." She says giving me a kiss on my lips and I inhale her scent. She gets up from her seat on the side of the tub and she walks out the door before she left I slapped her ass.