Chapter 21 { changes }

Nyla Jones
October 20th,1994
Los Angelos,California

"Yes mom, I'm fine." I say laying down on the bed while talking to my mother. I told her everything that happened. It's been so hard recovering from the crash and miscarriage. When I lost the baby, I felt that I lost myself. I don't know what happening but I feel so worthless. The doctor prescribed me pills but I don't need them. I'll be fine. All I need is holy water and my bible. Pills make you worse.

"Babygirl, you are so strong." My mom says into the phone and I start to smile.

"I miss you mommy." I say

"Aw, I miss you too. I'm so proud of you. I know I say it everyday, but you're really the one who can fix this family." My mom says and start to become emotional.

"Mom I miss Dajon." I say reminiscing about my brother that got locked up back in 89'.

"I miss him too, he asked about you the other day. He said he saw you on TV." My mom says and I smile.

"I know... I know." I say

"How's Donald?" My mom asks

"He's coping." I say. De has been off his shit. He's handling this harder than me. And I was actually carrying the child. He's been drinking more, popping pills more, coming home late... he's just been a wreck. I've been trying to get him to calm down but he's so hardheaded.

"He's been treating you alright?" My mom asks me and I start to think whether I should lie to my mother or not.

"Yes mom, he has." I say lying to mom as I didn't want to hear her voice counsel me about my relationship.

"Okay... well your father is calling me right now." My mom says

"Tell pops I said hi and that I miss him." I say kissing into the phone.

"Will do sweetie. I love you Nyla-Janae." My mom says

"I love you too, ma." I say into the phone. My mom hangs up and I fall into the bed. I look at the clock, the time is currently 5:47pm.

I decided to turn on the tv and watch a movie.

After 3 different movies, it was now 1:45am in the morning and De has yet to come home.

I wasn't  worried because I knew exactly what his ass was doing. Getting drunk, or catching HIV. Y'all probably like...'Why are you still with him?' Well, I can't leave him at his worst.

Another hour went by and it was currently 2:55am and I was lonely. I decided to calm a number that was memorized. A number that I can rely on.

I dialed the number into the phone and I waited for an answer.

After a long dual tone, his voice appeared on the line.

"Hello?" His voice says into the line and it gave me chills.

"Um... wassup Devoe." I say and he laughs into the phone.

"Wassup Nyla? Long time no talk." Ronnie says and I start to blush.

"Nothing, Nothing." I say playing with the cord and smiling hardly.

"Oh... why you calling me early in the morning?" Ronnie asks

"I don't kno-"

"I missed you nyla." Ronnie says cutting me off and my heart starts to beat fast.

"Ronnie don't even star-"

"No listen to me... I miss you. When you left me for DeVante that hurt me. I was in love with you.... shit I still am in love with you." Ronnie says and I start to blush even more.

"I missed you too Ronnie, but I can't do this with you. I'm in a relationship." I say looking up at the ceiling.

"Does this 'relationship' brings you more pain or happiness? Be honest here Nyla." Ronnie asks me and I start to think heavily.

"I don't even know." I say trying to avoid the question.

"You know... you just don't want to accept it. You may love him, but you aren't in love." Ronnie says and it makes sense.

"Then who am I in love with?" I ask Ronnie and he starts to laugh

"Me." Ronnie says and I start to laugh.

"You're funny." I say

"Listen, we should hang out one of these days. Catch up." Ronnie says and I start to think about it.

"Yeah... we should, but not now. I'll call you when I'm ready." I say

"You know my number babe. I love you Ny." Ronnie says and I start to reminisce about our relationship. He treated me so well and then I left him for a nigga that doesn't even care about me. Funny how life works.

"I-I love you too Ronnie." I say as the words slip out. It was genuine. It was real. I always felt forced to tell De that nowadays. This was real love. But I knew what Ronnie was up to. He thought he was slick.

The downstairs door started to jingle and I roll my eyes as I know that Satan is about to enter into this house.

His loud ass walking ran up the stairs and stopped in front of our room door. He opened it slowly as if he was trying to not wake me up. But my ass was already up.

"Where have you been?" I ask De as he appears to be drunk. I actually love Drunk De more than regular De because Drunk De always tells me the truth.

"Fucking around at the bar getting high and drunk." De says and I shake my head at his response.

"Cool. Have fun sleeping downstairs." I say throwing a pillow at him. Nowadays, I gave up yelling at him. It was no use.

"I'm just trying Chill with my baby." He says walking up to me as I smelled the alcohol on his breath.

"Goodnight Donald." I say

"Bab-"

"Good fucking night." I say stopping him in his sentence.

"Fine. Whatever." He says grabbing his clothes from his drawer and taking the pillow. He slams the room door.

"Dickhead." I say snuggling up in the sheets.

He has to be stopped.