Chapter 37 { surprise }

Nyla Jones
November 24th,1996
Brooklyn,NY

It's thanksgiving, and I am just spending time with my family. It's been a long time since I spent some quality time with the people I love.

It's been very weird with DeVante and I ever since the whole whattaburger incident. No one has seen him since and it worries me. I don't know why but the man means a lot to me. I have only been with two people in my whole life but he has shown me hate and love. He has shown me a side that I never thought I could see. He's the only thing I know.

Sometimes I feel like I am obligated to him because I know he's not okay. Mentally to be exact. I try my hardest to move on but I think God is up there like "Nyla, this is your man, go suck his dick and stop complaining" but then again it's like, complicated. I'm trying to put up this "I don't wanna be with you" mentality because I don't want to be hurt again. I don't want to keep losing my mind over a relationship.

I don't see myself with anyone else but him.

I had a long talk with myself, digesting the whole Ronnie relationship and I realized that I never really loved him. He was right. I loved the thought of him. He was actually a rebound and I used him for me to get over De when we all know that I will never get over that man. Ever. I was on some next level Michael Jordan shit knowing damn well that I should stay a Singer. Shooting Shots and Rebounding isn't for me.

"Nyla are you okay?" My mom asks me, derailing me from my thoughts.

"I'm good mom" I respond, showing her a fake smile.

"You aren't hungry?" She asks me

"Nah, kinda full" I respond, rubbing my stomach a little. This would be the 3rd plate she would be offering me. I love her and all but she's been so irritating.

"Okay, have you visited DJ?" My mom asks me with her eyebrows furrowed.

"I haven't visited him in a long time. Why?" I ask with a confused expression plastered on my face.

"He's supposed to be coming out." She says with a low tone.

"I know. I miss him a lot you know." I say with a faint smile, trying to remember how he looked.

"I miss him too, but that's besides the point. I have a surprise for you." My mom says and I stare at her.

"What is it?" I ask and she laughs.

"Just follow me." She says, and I get up from the couch I was sitting on. Exiting from the living room and walking out to the back door where the backyard is located.

I look around in confusion before I notice a tall figure emerge from the shadows. I almost pissed myself as I thought it was the slender man.

I took a very hard look at him before realizing that it was DeVante.

He looked very different. It scared me almost.

I turned around as I noticed my mom with her camerecorder out and my dad and the rest of the family smiling, waiting with anticipation.

I stood there confused because I do not know what the hell they are up to.

I watched as DeVante walked up to me with a smile on his face.

"To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with." He starts saying and I tilt my head like a confused dog.

I realized that he quoted Mark Twain.

"Mark Twain said that and I don't even know where to begin. Nyla, I have loved you since forever. You have been my girl and will always be my girl. I put you through a lot of shit and till this day, the memories of you crying still haunt me. I never meant to hurt you. I was just hurt myself and I wanted everyone else to feel that pain. I was selfish, stupid, and inconsiderate and I now see that because I realized that I hurt you. I broke you and I embarrassed you. I made these other girls brutally disrespect you because I wasn't doing the shit i was supposed to do as a boyfriend."

I looked at him as tears filled my eyes.

"But Nyla, none of those girls matter to me. When I look at you? I know what god can do. You are a living angel and I don't want to lose that. You've been by my side and never left me although I did that so many times. Everything about you is beautiful and I need you here with me, always and forever. You make a grown man cry." De says with a crack in his voice as I notice a tear drop fall down.

"So basically what I'm trying to say is." He starts off, I notice him bending down on one knee and my mind started going crazy. My head was like 'wydwydwyd' but my heart was like 'ohshitohshitohshit'. I realized what he was doing and I started shaking. Not shaking out of fear, but shaking out of acceptance.

"Nyla-Janae Jones, will you please marry my extraterrestrial looking ass? You stole my heart and I'm trying to make you steal my last name. I love you." He says with the ring infront me, while he's on one knee with a smile. I stood there in shock trying to understand everything. I turned around to my mom and I notice her shake her head, smiling at me. I looked back down at him and I smiled back.

"No. I won't marry you." I say and I notice his smile come off his face as disappointment is shown.

"Just kidding! Yes I will marry you!" I say with a laugh and shakes his head. He gets up and hugs me. My family was going crazy. They were yelling and screaming.

I watched him put the ring on my finger and I looked at it like it was treasure. It was beautiful.

I can't believe I was gonna be a DeGrate

I can't believe I was gonna be a DeGrate. This thought worried me but made me happy. Was this the right choice?