Chapter 46 { GRAMMY'S }

DeVante Swing
March 23rd,1998
Los Angelos, California

"Heart don't fail me now... no it sounds terrible" I watch Nyla sing as she is currently getting ready for the Oscars. She recently worked on the Anastasia Soundtrack and she is performing "journey to the past" at the Oscars. I was very excited for my babygirl.

"It sounds great I don't know why you're going so hard on yourself" I say as I watch her makeup get done.

"I have to it's the Oscars and my voice sounds terrible." She says and I shake my head.

"Nyla-Janae DeGrate. Stop being so hard." I say and I hear her sigh.

"Fine."

"Now sing it over for me." I say.

I hear her clear her throat and I slowly nod at her.

"Heart don't fail me now. Courage don't desert me, don't turn back now that we're here. People always say life is full of choices... no one ever mentions fear." She sings and I close my eyes and nod slowly.

"Or how the road can seem so long.."

"You went flat." I say and I notice her sigh loudly.

"Oh my god!" She yells and I walk up to her.

"Baby. You are way too tense. That's why you feel like everything isn't right." I respond and she doesn't do anything.

I watched as the lady puts the last finishing touches on her makeup and I look at her in awe.

"You're beautiful." I say and she smiles.

"Thanks but my voice isn't. I don't wanna fuck up Hollywood's biggest night. This is important for my career and myself." She says and I tilt my head.

"You aren't gonna fuck up anything. Just sing. It's what you're best at" I say and I notice her smile at me.

"Thank you for being here. But ima need you to get ready. We leave in two hours and you aren't even ready." She tells me and I furrow my eyebrows.

"I get ready quick don't worry about me. You just be you." I say.

"Okay but don't be out here looking crazy" She says and the hairstylist puts his finishing touches on her hair.

"De." Nyla says and I look at her.

"What happened?"

"Don't you love this dress?" She asks me as the other stylist brings it to her.

I looked at the material up and down in awe.

"That's beautiful.. what brand is it?" I ask.

"Saw it in the mall and liked it. Nothing special really." She says and I furrow my eyes.

"So no expensive brand?" I ask and she nods.

"My shoes are red bottom of course. But you know I'm not the dressy, expensive type of girl." She says and I laugh.