Chapter 17 { friends are for }

Nyla Jones
September 26th,1994
Los Angelos,California

"That's two. You're having my baby." He says grinning and I stare at the stick in disbelief. I cannot believe this is happening to me. The thought of having a child always surfaced my mind, but definitely not now. I am not ready. And I'm scared to be a horrible mother to my unborn child. I don't know what to do. De seems really happy about it and I'm sort of happy as well. I just don't know if it's what I want.

"Wow." I say slouching in the couch.

"This is a dope moment babe! Be happy!" I says playing with my hands.

"I am De. I am happy. Can I get some time alone?" I ask him and she stares at me.

"Alone? I can't leave you alone now. I gotta always watch out for you and my child." De says while poking my stomach.

"Great." I say standing up and walking up the stairs.

"Nyla C'mon!" De yells and I slam the room door and I lock it.

I dial a memorized phone number. Someone I know I can depend on during times like these.

"Hey bitchhhh." Shiann says Into the phone.

"Hey." I say dryly

"Oh hell no, you sound dead. What happened?" Shiann asks me.

"Nothing." I say

"What happened?" She asks me and I sigh heavily.

"Im pregnant Shiann." I say and Shiann begins to laugh.

"I know you fucking lying." She says trying to catch her breath as she continues to laugh.

"I wish I was." I say and the line grows silent.

"So Nyla-Janae Aasmi Jones is pregnant?" She asks

"Yup." I say

"Damn, Ronnie been putting in her work. Don't worry Ny. If your baby has no eyebrows then that's a-"

"Who said the father of my child is Ronnie?" I ask her

"Aren't y'all in a relationship? A one year relationship may I remind!" Shiann says and I chuckle to myself.

"No we aren't Shiann. We broke up a few months ago." I say and Shiann kisses her teeth.

"Then who's the babydaddy?" Shiann asks me.

"DeVante." I say and Shiann gasps.

"DeVante? DeVante Swing?" She asks

"Mmhum." I say

"You're my bestfriend and all, but you are the dumbest person alive right now." She says and I grow confused.

"Why do you say that?" I ask

"So you're pregnant for the person that cheated on you, got the girl who he cheated on you pregnant, blames his faults on you, and then leaves for 4 years without no phone call or anything? Girl you need to get your act together." She says

"It's not like that Shi, I love him." I say with a sigh.

"Girl I know you do! But Ima keep it a buck with you, y'all relationship is dysfunctional as fuck. You don't want a baby growing in that type of environment. But hey, I'm not saying that you should abort the child or anything. I don't condone that." She says

"What you trying to say?" I ask

"Watch out for you. Do what makes you happy. Do you even want a child right now? Be honest with yourself." Shiann asks me

"I don't know." I say scratching my hair.

"Be honest." Shiann says and I sigh.

"I don't want a child right now honestly. I would love one in the future, but right now isn't the time for me. It's too much. I don't wanna be a bad mom or anything." I sigh

"Mmm. Write a pros and cons list and then call me back." Shiann says

"Why? It makes no sen-"

"Just do it. If the pros outweighs the cons then you know what you should do." Shiann says and I nod my head.

"Okay. I love you bestfriend." I say

"I Love you too. And tell Melanie I said hello. The girl you tried to replace me with but did a horrible job." She says and I start to laugh.

"Should've never moved to England." I say

"Girl bye. Ima get a white sugar daddy one of these days and Ima live in lavish. Call me Shi Shi Da Pimp." Shiann says and I start to laugh.

"Shut Up!" I scream into the phone and Shiann starts to laugh with me.

"I gotta go though." She trails off.

"Okay bestie, call me later." I say

"Gotchu, later." Shiann says hanging up. Shiann was right, do what I have to do that makes me happy.

The door starts being knocked and I roll my eyes.

"Open the door Nyla." De yells from the other side and I sigh.

"Can I be left alone?" I yell back.

"No, now let me in." He yells back.

"Go away." I yell back.

"I won't move until you open the door." De yells back and I shake my head.

"Fine!" I say getting up and unlocking the door.

"You got some damn nerve locking doors up in my house. You pay the bills?" De asks me and I roll my eyes.

"Nigga I paid for half of the shi- nevermind you got it." I say sitting down on the bed.

"How's my favorite babymama?" De asks me

"Decent." I say

"Why you say that?" De asks me

"I don't know." I say and he looks at me.

"I heard you on the phone..." De trails off.

"Yup." I say

"Who was it?" He asks me

"Shiann." I sat and De's face lightens up.

"She's alive?" He asks and I nod.

"Oh wow." He says.

"Look, I know I put you under a lot of pr-"

"Don't worry about it DeVante." I say cutting him off.

"Shhh! Don't talk, just listen." De says and I stare at him annoyed.

"Did you just pull a Jodeci move on me?" I ask him and he gives me a smirk.