Chapter 13 - I need your help, Rog.

December 1973

Queen continues to tour the band Mott the Hoople in the United Kingdom. On Monday, December 3, Queen recorded new versions of her songs on BBC Studios. They recorded Ogre Battle, Great King Rat, Son and Daughter and Modern Times Rock'n'Roll, song written and sung by Roger. Jade was present at the recording of the boys and she took pictures of the band, at the BBC studios to continue the release of the band. After the recording, everyone left to go to a pizzeria. In later days, Queen got a break, but on Friday, December 7, they performed in London at Shaftesbury Hall.

On December 08, they performed in Liverpool. And on December 14th, on Friday, Queen made two presentations at the Hammersmith Odeon. Jade again took photos of the band and the boys' girlfriends as well as friends were together, watching Queen's performance. After the presentation they were in the dressing room congratulating the band. Jade was very happy to have done a great job with photos. Ryan was in the dressing room, too thoughtful, so he needs to talk to Roger tonight, because the next day the band would travel to Leicester. After everyone left the dressing room, there was only Ryan and Jade with the boys.

"Ryan, my love, let's go outside and wait for the boys to go to my brother's apartment to ask for Japanese food for everyone," Jade said. "They'll change their clothes.

"Yes, my love," Ryan said, looking at his friend, and Roger realized something was wrong.

But Ryan walked out with Jade out of the dressing room, leaving the boys to change their clothes. Shortly afterwards, everyone went to the rented apartment that Marcos is living in the Kensington neighborhood. Everyone asked for Japanese food in Mark's apartment, they ate and drank. The boys were excited, because the next night they would give a performance in Leicester. They will finalize the tour in the UK before Christmas.

For a moment Roger got up and headed for the kitchen to get a beer and Ryan went after his friend. Roger opened the refrigerator and picked up a can of beer and found his friend watching him.

"Rog, I need to talk to you urgently," Ryan said. "But it does not have to be in front of our friends, let alone Jade.

Roger looked at Ryan suspiciously.

"Why can not Jade know?" Roger asked confused. "Did you betray Jade?" If you did that I'll smash you, now, Ryan.

"Of course I did not betray Jade," Ryan said quietly to his friend, afraid someone might come into the kitchen. "It's something else, but it's serious. Please, when we're in the living room, call me to talk to me, like you want to talk to me, understand?

"Okay," said Roger suspiciously. "We'd better go to the living room now.

The two of them returned to the living room, where all the friends were gathered together and Josephine and Jade together with the girls, chatting happily. A little while, Roger called Ryan, wanting to talk to him, alone, as if he wanted to talk to the boy. Ryan and Roger headed toward the balcony of the apartment. It was a cold night. Roger lit a cigarette and watched everyone in the living room talking. Ryan was looking at Jade, who smiled happily at her friends and sighed heavily. Roger looked at his friend and realized it was something very serious. He looked again at his friends, to see that everyone was in the living room.

"You better tell me now what's going on, brother," Roger said, looking at Ryan, puffing on my cigarette. "You'd better just say it before our friends come here, or even Jade.

Ryan sighed and took the letter, which was folded, from his pants pocket.

"Rog, please read the letter," Ryan said. "Read the letter in silence. In the meantime, keep an eye out for anyone approaching.

Ryan handed the letter to the blonde. Roger took the letter from his friend's hand, staring blankly at him. Roger opened the letter and saw that he was from the United States of America. As Roger read the letter in silence, Ryan was watching to see if anyone was approaching. Roger, as he read the letter, was surprised, without reaction. He did not believe what he read in the letter. What will Jade find of all this? Roger is uneasy. When he finishes reading the letter, he closes his eyes.

"Are you finished reading, Rog?" Ryan asked looking at his friend.

Roger shook his head yes in silence and quickly handed the letter to Ryan. Ryan quickly put the letter in his pants pocket. Roger sighed heavily and continued puffing on his cigarette, saying nothing. Ryan was looking anxiously at him.

"You will not say anything, Rog?" Will you say nothing, my brother? Ryan asked.

- Why did you do that? "Damn, why did you do this to Jade, to me, Ryan?" Did not you think of me too? Hell, we're childhood friends, we're like brothers. And you do it without thinking of the people you love and love you.

"Rog, I do not have a choice," Ryan said quietly, looking sad. "My cousins ​​are in the Vietnam War, and I want to go to them, to protect them, and I'm an American boy, and I have to be by the side of my brothers in this damn war.

Roger smiled wryly and then looked sadly at Ryan and puffed on his cigarette again.

"You're an American boy, Ryan, and I'm sorry this damn war is going on, but you're not in the United States for the government to call you to fight in Vietnam. You lived in Truro and now you live in London and you send me a letter to the US government to be a volunteer of the Vietnam War? What the fuck were you thinking? Roger said quietly, pointing his finger at his friend, holding back so as not to scream.

"I was thinking of my cousins," Ryan said with tears in his eyes as he held back so he would not cry. "I'm thinking of the thousands of young Americans who have died in this war. My native country cries for thousands of lost lives. And I am here in London, protected, but, I have felt this call within my heart for the past few months, even with the respite of a few months they have given, but soon the fighting will return , Rog.

"I understand your point of view, Ryan," Roger said, running his hand over his face with tears in his eyes. "I know how patriotic he is, but what about your friends here? And me, your heartbrother and Jade, your beautiful girlfriend who loves you so much? How will she react to this news? I do not think she will get the news very well. I believe she will revolt.

"I know, Rog," Ryan said tearfully. "I'll leave for the United States in February, I'll have war training for three months, and next May I'll be sent to Vietnam. I will not tell Jade, not tonight, I'll let the year-end parties go by to warn her.

"Good luck, Ryan," Roger said, crying silently. "I'll miss you, damn it. Why do you have to leave? Because?

Ryan and Roger hug and cry quietly without saying anything for a while. After they calm down, Ryan says,

"I need your help, Rog. In my absence, you'll take care of Jade, please, my friend, promise you'll take care of my girlfriend?

Roger looks at him excitedly. And hug Ryan again.

"I promise, Ryan, I promise I'll take care of your girl until you get back," Roger said excitedly.

"Thank you, my friend, I knew I could count on you." Ryan smiled at the end for his friend. "On this subject, do not comment on Jade. I'll give her the news myself. When I leave, you will take care of her, so she does not feel alone and does not have depression.

"Okay, my friend, I promise," Roger said, looking at his friend.

To be continued.