40

"How does he know all about Celtic symbols and druids?" Allison asked skeptic upon hearing her grandfather.

"Know thy enemy, Allison. The older wolves had a relationship with the druids. They called them emissaries." 

Scott piped in "Like my boss, Deaton," Gerard nodded.
"Do you know the myth of Lycaon?"

And so Gerard told the story about the connection between druids and werewolves."According to myth, some Greek citizens believed they owed their lives more to Prometheus than to the gods of Olympus. And some followers even took names to honor the Titans instead of the gods. The son of Prometheus. Lycaon didn't just refuse to honor the gods. He challenged them. He invited Zeus to a banquet and then tried to serve him the flesh of a human being. Angered, Zeus blew the place apart with lightning bolts and then punished Lycaon and his sons by turning them into wolves. The part that's lesser known is how Lycaon sought out the druids to help turn him back to human."

"Why druids?" Scott finally asked

"The belief was that the ancient druids knew how to shape-shift. They couldn't make Lycaon and his sons human again, but they did teach them how to shift back and forth. And so the druids became important advisors to the packs."

On the other side of town, Peter Hale was telling the same story to Stiles and Cora Hale, trying to make them understand the whole situation.

"They keep us connected to humanity. But they're a secret even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton." Cora said looking at Stiles, who trying to filter everything. Peter walked to them and added,"Or his sister, Morrell."

"She's an emissary too?" Stiles asked surprised.
"For the Alpha pack."

"Our guidance counselor?" The teenager asked in disbelief. "Why the hell don't you people tell me any of this stuff, huh? I shared some really intimate details with her."

"And did she give you good advice?" Cora asked already knowing the answer.

"Actually, yeah."
"That's what they do," Peter said, "That's what Deaton used to do for Talia." He muttered.
"But... Where does Emily's family come in all of this?"

"Well... The druids were there for advice. The hunters were a protection addition." Peter said remembering how Magnolia and Talia used to be the most serious and valiant women he had ever seen.

"While I admire your willingness to extend an olive branch, I have to tell you, it might not be welcome." Deaton said looking at Deucalion as Talia entered the room saying, "And I'm not sure that Gerard is the one to accept it."
Deaton nodded agreeing, "It's true. The Argents have a matriarchal leadership."
"Actually," she said, "I was speaking about the fact that he's a complete psychopath. The man cuts people in half with a broadsword."
"Do the two of you really have so little faith in people? You think Gerard isn't worried about the deaths on his own side?" Deucalion finally said. "Do you know the story of the scorpion and the frog?" Magnolia asked from Deaton's side.
"I have a feeling I'm about to hear it."
"When the scorpion asked the frog to carry him across the river, the frog said, 'how do I know you won't sting me?' The scorpion replied, 'why would I do that? Then we'd both drown.' So the frog agreed. Halfway across the river, the scorpion stung the frog. When the frog asked him why he did it, since now they would both die, the scorpion replied... 'It's my nature.' Your faith in humanity may not matter if you underestimate Gerard's nature. The Argents are not the type of hunters one can trust" Magnolia finished.

"So Mags was another type of hunter?" Stiles asked.

"Her family is built of hunters. But the original ones. Artemis's hunters." Peter explained, "Their kind is made to protect the supernatural and its creatures, the werewolves are at the top of the list"