Wildfire

Chapter 5: Wildfire

I wake up in the morning, alone in Glenn's tent. He must have got up and let me sleep. I sit up and yawn and stretch. I see my combat boots sitting neatly at the end of the sleeping bag, and that's when

I remember last night's events.

The walkers, the blood, the fighting, the death. I shake my head free of the thoughts and pull on my boots, lacing them up. My only outfit is dirty and lightly spattered with blood. I run a hand through my brown hair. Sighing, I push myself up off the ground and make my way out of the tent.

The first thing I see is the people. Everyone seems to be working; cleaning or moving bodies. I look to the left and see a pile of the walkers that attacked, which are being burned. Some of the men are moving the bodies.

I notice Glenn and T-Dog carrying a corpse to the fire, and smile slightly at Glenn, raising my hand in a small wave. With his hands busy, Glenn just nods, giving me a sad smile.

I sigh and walk to the campfire, where I see Andrea is still sitting by her dead sister, silently.

I follow Rick to where Shane, Lori, Dale, and Carol are sitting, watching Andrea.

"She still won't move?" I ask softly, squatting down beside them.

"She won't even talk to us. She's been there all night. What do we do?" Lori answers me.

"Can't just leave Amy like that. We need to deal with it. Same as the others." Shane says.

"I'll tell her how it is." Rick says, sighing and standing up. He walks over to Andrea and Amy's corpse. Rick stoops beside Andrea.

"Andrea-" But before Rick can finish what he was going to say, Andrea whips around, cocking her gun and pointing it in his face.

"I know how the safety works." She says in a low voice.

Rick gets very quiet. He puts out a hand and slowly backs away. "All right. Okay. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He walks back to us slowly as Andrea turns back to Amy.

A few minutes later, we're gathered in a small group discussion, Andrea not included as she wouldn't leave her dead sister's side.

"Y'all can't be serious. Let that girl hamstring us? The dead girl's a time bomb." Daryl says, pointing back at Amy's body.

"What do you suggest?" Rick asks Daryl, crossing his arms.

"Take the shot. Clean, in the brain from here. Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance." He says. I understand he had reasons, but it was Amy. Andrea's sister. And I couldn't even imagine Andrea's reaction.

"No. For God's sakes, let her be." Lori says from behind us. Rick shrugs his shoulders.

Daryl scoffs and walks off. Even though he's cleaning up the corpses he doesn't pick up the one near the cook fire. "Wake up, Jimbo. We've got some work to do" He calls.

He helps Morales, who was struggling to move a body to the fire.

"What are you guys doing? This is for geeks. Our people go over there." I hear Glenn's voice, and walk over to them.

"What's the difference? They're all infected." Daryl asks, still carrying the corpse.

"Our people go in that row over there." Glenn cries out. "We don't burn them! We bury them. Understand?" I place a hand comfortingly on his shoulder. He was obviously upset.

"Our people go in that row over there." Glenn points, as Morales and Daryl pick the body back up and drag it to the row where Glenn was pointing.

"You reap what you sow." I hear Daryl mutter.