Chapter Ten

“Turn there,” I mumbled to Luke, pointing at the corner of Emily’s street. “There’s her house.”

The rain was pouring right now, harder than it was before, and I knew that running up Emily’s driveway and not getting wet  wasn’t an option.

Luke gave me worried looks the whole drive to her house, clearly worried not only about Emily, but for me too. I had no idea why though, there was nothing wrong with me. Not right now anyway.

Luke pulled into her driveway, and I noticed her parents were home. Great.

I looked over at Luke and gave him an apologetic smile.

“I’m so sorry.”

He only shook his head and gave me a smile.

“It’s okay.”

I nodded my head at him and opened the car door, stepping out into the hard ran and running up to Emily’s front door. I was nearly soaked by the time that her mom came to the door and answered it, giving me a confused look.

“Cazy? What’re you doing here? And who’s this?”

I walked into the house, eyebrows raised. Who was who? I turned my head to see Luke following in behind me, giving Emily’s mom a nice smile.

“Um, Emily’s here, right?”

Her mom nodded, her eyebrows furrowed together.

“I just came to visit her, or we did. Um, this is Luke. My. . . friend.”

Her mom nodded and gave Luke a warm smile before pointing at the stairs.

“Emily’s upstairs, make sure you grab a towel on the way up and dry off, okay? You two don’t want to get sick.”

I nodded at Emily’s mom and told her thanks before pulling Luke up the stairs, finding the hallway closet and pulling out towels. I handed Luke one and got one for myself, raising my eyebrows at Emily’s door. Her music was blasting, probably meaning she was trying to drown out her crying so no one heard. I sighed.

“I’m sorry I followed you in. . .” Luke mumbled, drying his hair off with the towel as I walked towards Emily’s door.

“It’s okay.”

And then Luke and I didn’t say anything else and I opened her bedroom door, seeing her sitting on the floor next her window. She was staring outside and she probably knew that Luke and I were both here already, but she didn’t make any effort to move.

I took my wet shoes off before my feet pattered across her wooden floor, taking a seat next to her. Her eyes didn’t move from wherever they were looking, making me frown.

Luke awkwardly took a seat on the floor next to her door, not knowing what to do.

“Hey, Em. You alright?”

Her eyes finally moved and her head turned to look at me. She looked awful. That was really mean of me to say, but it was true. Her lips were chapped and her eyes were red and puffy. Her nose was red from rubbing it over and over and she had mascara running down her face. I felt so bad.

“No.” Her voice was really quiet, and hard to hear over her music, but I still managed to hear her. She frowned at me, and then I noticed her eyes starting to fill with more tears.

“Oh, Emily.”

I pulled my best friend into my arms, letting her sob into my chest. Her body shook in my arms, making me frown and hold onto her harder. Her hands held onto my shirt as she cried, and I was almost scared that she would rip it.