Chapter Seventeen

The day of the funeral had finally come and I was dreading it every second I thought about it.

My head was constantly hurting and my eyes were blood shot red ever since my mom told me about it.

My body ached when I put on the black dress and the earrings my grandmother gave me. My room was cold, I was cold, and I didn’t even care.

Luke was waiting downstairs when I finally reached the door, and he gave me a sweet smile.

“Hey,” he said softly, pulling me into a hug. I just stood there, emotionless. “Ashton’s going to meet us there with the rest of the guys.”

I nodded and didn’t reject him holding my hand; I guess I wanted a little comfort but not too much.

My mom came into the room, her face natural and makeup less. Probably because she didn’t want to have mascara running down her face. I did the same.

My dad joined her, grabbing her hand and giving it a squeeze. She gave him a sad smile before looking over at Luke and I.

“Are you riding with Luke, baby?” My mom asked, looking at our hands and then up at our faces.

I only nodded, and that was it.

We all got into our cars and started driving.

I was so sad, so fucking sad.

Today was the last day would ever see my grandmother, and I’d have to see her in a casket and I don’t know how I was going to contain my feelings. I knew that Luke and everyone else were there for me but for some reason, I didn’t feel like that was enough.

I had lost someone before and I hated this feeling and I hated that I had to feel it all over again.

I hated that it had to have been my grandmother and my best friend. I hated death, I really hated it. I hated the people who talked about it, the people who could just sit there smiling and chatting at funerals, and I hated the people who laughed about people who died. Death was never something fun, and it always seemed be around me.

When we finally arrived and got out, Luke’s hand found mine and he gently rubbed his thumb on my hand. I knew he was trying to calm me down, he didn’t want me to cry in front of all these people.

“If you need to cry, squeeze my hand and we’ll go into the hallway.” He whispered into my ear, leading me towards our group of friends. I only nodded, my face full of only sadness.

“Hey Cazy,” Ashton greeted me, a frown on his lips. His arms wrapped around my body quickly and Luke dropped my hand.

I wrapped me arms around his body and tried to keep my tears in, I didn’t want to cry by just getting here.

We held each other for a while, he probably knew this was harder on me than it was on him.

Once he pulled back, I saw his eyes. They looked slightly like mine, but better looking. I frowned at him and he only shook his head, stepping back and holding Emily’s waist.

Luke’s hand reached out and grabbed mine again, looking at me before leading me to where we would be seated.

--

By the time we were at the place where my grandmother was going to be buried, I had cried a good three times. It was hard to go up to my grandmother, look at her, and then act like I was okay. Luke didn’t judge me for crying so much.

“Would anyone like to say some words?”

I looked up, my eyes looking around. I would’ve, but I hadn’t prepared a speech or anything.