ice cream

After finishing Zombieland, we all decide to make ice cream sundaes. Jonah and Rachael are clearly hitting it off, and I couldn't be happier for them. Rachael's eyes seem almost a brighter green than they normally are. I'd like to believe it is because of how happy she is. We are in the kitchen, scooping ice cream, and listening to music when I hear the front door open. I keep my eyes on my sundae, trying not to seem too eager for Jack to arrive. When I finally look up, Jack is already looking right at me, his eyes seems to be studying my every feature. I feel my heart flutter, just knowing that I'm the first person he looked at when he walked in. "Hey guys" he smiles, and puts his keys on the kitchen table. He walks over to where we are all making ice cream, and sprays some whipped cream right into his mouth. I open my mouth, gesturing for him to give me some. He points the whipped cream canister at my mouth, but instead sprays my nose. I make an embarrassing squawking noise and Jack begins to giggle, I can't help but laugh too, lightly hitting his shoulder. That moment we shared was quick, but it meant so much to me. I wish it didn't have to end, but Rachael decided to be her usual loud (yet lovable) self. "THIS MUST BE JACK" she shouts, too excitedly. Oh my God. Please shut up. "Uhhh yeah. I mean I don't know what you've heard, hopefully good things, but I'm Jack, Jack is me." he laughs, and becomes acquainted with Rachael.

Shortly after Jack and Rachael meet, Zach walks in, putting multiple bags on the ground. "And who is this fine young lady?" Zach says, leaning on the counter, winking at Rachael. I almost laugh at how slick he thinks he is. He means well though. "Yo, back off." Jonah says, standing up straight, to show off the fact that he is clearly significantly taller than Zach is. "Oh. Woah. That was unexpected. Are you two a thing?" Zach asks looking genuinely surprised. There's an awkward silence before both Rachael and Jonah tell Jack and Zach that they aren't a couple. Zach cuts through the awkwardness by beginning to speak again.

"Alright, SO. We need new music. The label wants us to come up with 5 new songs before summer starts. That means we don't have a lot of time. So, I'm calling a songwriting night. Tomorrow night. We need to get this done boys." I hear groans throughout the room, but everybody nods their heads. "Yes boss." Jack says before ruffling up Zach's hair, and sitting on the couch.

A few hours pass, and slowly, everybody has found a reason to leave the house. Zach left to "become inspired to write music" his words, not mine. And Corbyn, and Daniel went to go buy a new pair of shoes that just got released. Now, It's just me, Jack, Jonah, and Rachael. Rachael and Jonah are getting slightly handsy, and it's beginning to get awkward. "Hey" Jack whispers, right into my ear. The warm air of his breath on my ear gives me chills. "This is getting awkward. Come with me." Jack gets up, and I follow him.

Wordlessly, we leave Jonah and Rachael to themselves. Jack leads me to the backyard, where I watched them film their music video. Seeing it again makes me wonder if I will ever get to watch the video. I look up to see Jack looking slightly awkward. He's rubbing the back of his neck, and looking at his feet. "I was wondering if you would want to maybe go on a date with me tonight.. like.. a real date. I could take you out for dinner, and maybe we could see a movie or something..?" The fact that he's almost too shy to ask me out makes me like him even more. His face is pink and flustered. "I would love that." I say, going in for a hug. Jack receives my hug, and pulls me in tightly. We stay like that for what feels like minutes, even though I know it was probably only a few seconds. All I know is that every second I'm with him, it's always something new and exciting. I can't wait for our date.

Jack opens the gate leading from the backyard to a small path to the front yard. He closes the gate behind us, and gently takes my hand in his own. He gives it a tight squeeze before letting go. I hop into the passenger seat of his car, and we are on our way. Driving with Jack is possibly the best thing ever.