#19: Everything Is Figouroutable.

Present

Isabella

We sit in silence because that's all we can do. Anything we say is going to make this look extremely awkward. But even the silence seems to feel awkward after a while. We've never come across a situation like this after Jacob and I broke up. Getting into a relationship with someone in your own group is going down the rabbit hole, only it doesn't end in a wonderland, it ends in dystopia. 

So I decided to speak because the flag bearer of awkwardness in this situation is me. "Jason Cody, I adore your definition of love." 

"Are you its victim?" He asks me with a soft smile. 

I laugh. "There's no sugarcoating it, so yes, I am hopelessly in love with that asshole and I don't even know from when." 

Jason immediately folds his lips so I look away to avoid the discomfort I'm feeling. I should've thought this confession through. My eyes fall on May who doesn't look away. But she doesn't emote any other expression either. I see Liam, now with a frown. His lips slowly twitch up and he forces it down but it curls more. 

I close my eyes as I grit my teeth. "Oh, my god, you guys are so not helping--" 

"Sorry, we're sorry, we're sorry," I heard Liam laugh and before I open my eyes I feel arms around me. 

I fall into their arms but I can hear Jason and Liam scoff silent gushed laughter. May's smiling, but it's a very restricted smile. She's so hesitant, I know she knows something that I don't. Jason kisses the top of my head but I hate how he's continuously grinning at Liam. It feels like an unspoken taunt. 

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN," The announcement comes from the speaker, and all of us jump. "WE REQUEST ALL OF YOU TO COLLECT YOUR REFRESHMENTS AS THE GAME WILL BEGIN IN AN HOUR. WE REQUEST THE FRANKFURT HIGH TEAM TO REPORT TO THE GIRLS' LOCKER ROOM. THANK YOU." 

The floodlights must be switched on because the announcement only comes when the court is ready with its accessories, scorers, referees, and electronic scoreboard. My heart begins to rush its beats because I know he's not going to come. 

"Okay, now, listen to me," Liam says breaking the hug but not stepping away. "Anything that happened yesterday with Jacob or Austin is immaterial for the next three hours, Bella. Flush it down the drain." 

I open my mouth to debate on that but Jason snaps his fingers in front of me. "No. He's right on this one and I second him. Your match is important because it's the last fucking match you're ever going to play as a Frankfurt High Wildcat. This scholarship is not worth worrying about boys, trust me." 

"I know," I say nodding. 

"We'll figure everything else out. We'll get a lot of time for that. But right now, I need you to go to your team and pep them up, because your pep talker is having a timeout. We'll be right next to you the entire time, okay?" Liam told me and I nodded, taking in a huge breath and letting it out. 

Liam tapped my head with his palm and he pulled May in for a group hug. Jason immediately joined and I got engulfed in bear arms. We laughed as we stayed in that hug for a long time. 

"I really miss him," I tell them in between the hug. "It's the last huddle in detention and he really bailed." 

May took both my cheeks in her hands and she stared right into my eyes. "Trust me, he'll pay for it. We'll make him suffer the consequences." 

I don't start overthinking her words. I immediately nod. I hop off the teacher's table and I pick my bag up. "Can you at least make sure he's okay?" 

"We're on it, don't worry." Jason immediately assures me as he pulls his phone out of his pocket. "Play well, Jingle Bells." He winks at me and walks to the end of the classroom holding the phone to his ear.