#26: FRIENDS

Isabella

Present

Maybe taking out a prom dress even without getting asked out to prom is the stupidest thing a girl has ever done. I see myself again, my hair tied into a pony, my tie-dye shirt carelessly hanging around my denim shorts. My white canvas shoes match the H&M bag in my hands. How? How could he have possibly fallen in love with me? I look like the most average girl when compared to the eye-catching blonde girls he's been with.

I want to know what he sees in me that makes him like me so much. There must be something different with me because he's had feelings for me for literally four years. I want to know how I look in his eyes. I want to take a trip inside his mind and listen to every single thought he has about me. 

"Thank you so much." May grinned pulling back two cards from the cashier.

She handed my card back to me and slid hers inside her purse. I quickly unhooked my phone case and slid my card inside the case. Then after securing it back on my phone, I looked up to see May glaring at me.

"What?" I shrugged as we walked out of the store.

"Why can't you just get a sling bag or a clutch?"

"It's another baggage, May. Why do you have a problem with the way I function?"

She rolled her eyes and tugged her arm in mine as we walked out of the store. We were walking to the bistro with two bags in our hands. 

Maya Sen picked out a wine-red satin dress that reached her knees. It had a cowl neckline and spaghetti straps. It had a delicate strappy cross-back detailing with a soft curve seam and split as it ended just above her knees. She looked absolutely gorgeous in that dress, although, I saw her wearing another dress multiple times. 

When we compared our choices, mine was exactly opposite to hers. I've grown fonder of the color blue, for obvious reasons so the dress I picked out was a long pearl blue satin dress with a v-neck that emphasized my chest curves. It was a charmeuse dress with an empire-cut waist and embroidered waistband. The skirt had pockets, which was a plus point. It ended with a slit on one of the sides of my legs and flowed out till it reached my ankles. It had an open back, which was something out of my comfort zone, but the dress just hugged my skin like it was made to fit me. 

"You think Ethan will like the dress? He was supposed to come with me but he had a last-minute thing with his friends--"

"Who cares if Ethan likes the dress or not? All that matters is you should like what you're wearing." I squeezed her arm that was locked inside mine. 

"That's not how it works when you're in a relationship, Bella," My head snapped at her the instant she said it. 

I stopped walking. "Please tell me you bought the dress because you like it, and not because you think Ethan would like it," 

"Uh," she looked away from me. 

"Oh, wow," I scoffed turning around.

I drag her behind me back into the store. In fifteen minutes we exchange the wine-red dress for a forest green dress that she'd tried multiple times. The forest green dress was a satin dress too. It reached the hem of her knees but the neckline was high and it accented her shoulders. She looked stunning and I know her eyes really shined when she wore them. So we were back with the dress that May liked, and not what she supposed Ethan would like.

"Bella, he really likes gaudy and extravagant colors--"

"Stop talking. If you like the green one and he really likes you, he will love the green dress too." I dragged her behind me. "And get this straight May, you may be all smarty pants and princess perfection, but even thinking that you might have to change yourself for someone you love, is bullshit."